We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Which Kingman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Peterborough UK
reviews: 42
Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

We have an overnight stop booked in Kingman, whilst travelling from LA (Santa Monica) to Grand Canyon. Just planning options to visit en route (in rental car). Is is sensible to branch off the 40 near Needles to visit Oatman, then continue on to Kingman? And after Kingman, what about going via the (old?) 66 to pass by Hackleberry as we go on to Grand Canyon?

Or, in both instances, is it better to stick to the main highways, and run in/out Kingman once we arrive there? Trouble is, with long drives both day before/ after the Kingman stopover, the may be little time for that? Just trying to get my bearings. Any thoughts most welcome.

8 replies to this topic
Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 43
1. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

The stretch between Topock off I40 to Oatman and Kingman is one of the best stretches of R66 left and I certainly would recommend to drive it. The drive between Kingman and Seligman is less scenic (65mph black asphalt drive) but Hackberry is worth visiting imo.

Tet

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 407
2. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Do yourself the favor and DO drive old route 66 via Oatman, the Hackberry General Store and of course Seligman. If this interests you, as it seems to, also drive through downtown Williams rather than staying on I-40 as far as the turnoff onto 64 to head north to the GC.

Banff National...
reviews: 16
3. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Route 66 all the way. IMO this is the one of the best stretches in America,as Tet has mentioned.

Esty666 couldn't have said it better......take her route...AWESOME!!!!

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
4. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Even long stretches of R66 left in Ca. You can leave I40 at Ludlow and drive National Trails hw (R66) to Amboy Crater and Roy''s Cafe and back to I40.

5. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:05 pm, February 26, 2013

Kingman, Arizona
6. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Just watch hiking at the Fort Beale Loop. We parked at the designated paved area and went hiking the beautiful Cerbat Trail that we so enjoy(ed). However, upon our return, our car was destroyed. We have heard some of the local thieves watch for hikers at the trail heads and wait until they are on the mountain to strike. Then, try to get a police officer to help - the sheriff's department and city police would not respond because they fought over whose jurisdiction it was!!! Take a taxi to the trail heads.

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
7. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Not a happy first post Majiksam. Sorry to hear. Hope your future posts are more positive. I don't think the OP is planning on hiking in the Kingman area.

Peterborough UK
reviews: 42
8. Re: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC

Thanks, but Tet14 is correct. No hiking for us, we'll stick to the 4 wheels!

Reply to: Routes via Kingman whilst travelling LA to GC
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted