We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Which Kingman hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
singapore
Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Hi, on 10Nov, with my family of 4 persons (2 kids at 10& 11) will be leaving Grand Canyon about 1-2pm heading to Palm Spring but since it will take close to 7hrs to Palm Spring, we are planning to stop at Kingman for a night before sunset. Using Kingman route to Palm Springs is because it's shorter that via Phoenix.

1. Is Kingman a good stop or somewhere nearby, just plan to drive for about 3hrs on that day.

2. is the road to kingman winding? Want to aviod any winding with steep dropoff with no shoulder road.

3. what can we do to spend a good evening in Kingman?

Many thanks.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
for Zion National Park, Joshua Tree National Park
reviews: 9
1. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Kingman is right off Interstate 40,no winding roads or dropoffs.

Other options to stay on the way to PS are Needles, Laughlin (a little out of the way, cheap hotels, gambling), or Lake Havasu.Kingman would probably work best for you.

Next day you have three ways to get to PS. Hwy 95 thru Arizona to Havasu,or Hwy 95 thru California. Both of these run into Hwy 62 towards PS.

The other option is to head into CA near Goffs Road and take Route 66 thru the historic town of Amboy, then cut across Amboy road to Hwy 62.

Hwy 62 runs right by Joshua Tree National Park.

You can enter JTNP at Utah Trail street in 29 Palms, the north entrance, then do the loop and exit at the west side at the town of Joshua Tree.

Then take hwy 62 to I-10 into PS.

Be sure to fill your tank on the Arizona side of the Colorado River.Needles is very expensive for gas.

Not sure what to do in Kingman at night. I usually drive straight thru from California to GC in one shot.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
2. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

For someone not familiar with the area, I strongly recommend that you go to PS through Phoenix. The time difference in driving is negligible as the route which you plan through Kingman is 2 lane roads in rather desolate areas versus using the well-traveled interstate highways via Phoenix.

If you are unaware that the road to Kingman from GC is a 4-lane interstate highway then I suspect that sending you on more scenic routes is not wise.

Have you ever driven in the US before?

singapore
3. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Thanks both for advice.

I driven in US before but that is about 20 years ago. I prefer driving on well travelled road since I not familiar with the area and is not a local.

Any good night stop between GC to Phoenix?

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
4. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Sedona would be a very good choice.

Encinitas...
Destination Expert
5. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Or if you want to get to about the halfway point, pick someplace around Phoenix.

singapore
6. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Thanks. If i need to arrive Phoenix before night fall, what time do i need to set off from GC?

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
reviews: 80
7. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

If you are not used to driving on busy highways I would take your first itinerary and stay in Kingman or Lake Havasu. The roads between Kingman and I-10 are not heavily travelled and therefore would be easier to drive but I think enough people are on them that you would be safe. Just make sure you take plenty of water - necessary any time of the year in the desert.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
8. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Driving Arizona Hwy 95 from I-40 west of Kingman to LHC and then on to Quartzite on the east side of the Colorado River would be what Marian suggests. This route would be safe, somewhat scenic but also slow.

singapore
9. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

Thanks Marian & Bob. I will need to decide based on yours advice.

what time do i need to set off from GC to reach Kingman before night fall ?

Uden, The...
Destination Expert
for Road Trips
reviews: 42
10. Re: Grand canyon to Palm Spring, where is ideal night stop?

GC to Kingman, without stops, is less than 3 hours. Count on one hour longer if you take R66 between Seligman and Kingman. This part of R66 is a smooth 65mph drive and is worth the detour. Make your stops in Seligman and Hackberry.

Easiest from KIngman would be to take us95 to Blythe and I10 west to Palm Spring but you also can take 62 west and 177 to I10 from Vidal Junction. I'd avoid driving 62 all the way to 29Palms and on to Palm Springs from there. From 29Palms is a busy highway and a steep descend from Morongo Valley to I10. PLus there are roadworks driving into Palm Springs from there. So I recommend Kingman to Needles, us95 south to Vidal Junction and 62 and 177 to I10. Fill your tank in Az, cheaper than in Ca. Btw if you are an R66 buff you should take National Trails hw (R66) and make a stop at Roy's Cafe. Pump is open there but fuelprize is $ 4,89 right now.....

Tet