We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Security in Soweto

Mellieha, Malta
reviews: 5
Security in Soweto

Hi trippers

I'd value any advice on the above. we are staying for 3 nights in Jo'burg at the start of a trip and we decided to give Soweto a go. Have booked in to Flossies B and B which has a few nice reviews and we're guessing is in a relatively safe part of the township. However there are very few reviews and I guess just most people are scared of staying in a township. I'm getting a few wobbles as people keep giving me dire warnings of the high risk of getting mugged, assaulted, murdered etc. I take these with a pinch of salt but we are arriving at 10 pm to be met with the guesthouse's travel people. Any advice as to precautions, what sort of neighbourhood, Pimville is etc. I just like the idea of being near the heartthrob of the place and not cossetted away in some whites only gated hotel. But we are white and tourists so it will kind of stand out! Thanks for any feedback.

Michael and Tess

5 replies to this topic
geneva
reviews: 15
1. Re: Security in Soweto

The people from the guesthouse will consider your own personal safety their responsibility and will make sure all is well.

They will also tell you what you can and cannot do, where you can go and when, etc...

Trust them, they'll take care of you and you will have a fabulous time discovering another aspect of life in SA!

Malta
reviews: 2
2. Re: Security in Soweto

Thanks a lot, Caviar - that's just the kind of thing I need to hear. I have a sense that places like Flossies are run by genuine and gracious people and I'm keen to support them.

Any idea from anyone about good things to do in a short stay welcome.

geneva
reviews: 15
3. Re: Security in Soweto

Soweto by bike is great fun,a Sunday morning service in a local church, bof course a tour of the main landmarks/museums/houses of Tutu and Mandela, lunch in a local restaurant...Again, rely on the owner of the guesthouse for suggestions, and try to let her know ahead of time what you would like to do and see, so she can organize it ahead of time.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 7
4. Re: Security in Soweto

I'd like to 2nd Caviar's response. The owners have already arranged to meet you, so you'll be in good hands.

Soweto is short for "South West Townships" so Pimville is one the many townships that collectively makeup Soweto. Pimville was one of the very few townships in Soweto where you could build your own house. So it's one of the more affluent parts of Soweto, and safer.

For a truly Soweto experience, you can also spend the afternoon at Panyaza, a local "Chisa Nyama" where the locals buy meat to be "braai'ed" or placed on the BBQ, listen to loud music and have some drinks.

New York City, New...
5. Re: Security in Soweto

We are going to South Africa (with our tow teenage kids) in April and we are spending two nights at Lebo's Soweto Backpackers in Orlando West part of Soweto, and I had the same safety concerns. After doing my due diligence I am convinced it is safe, and will offer an authentic, meaningful experience. We are staying at Lebo's "grandmother's house" down the road from the hostel so that we will have a private room. We are also taking a day bike tour through Lebo's, which you can book with them, even if you are not staying there. Have a great time, and please post after you return!

Reply to: Security in Soweto
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soweto