We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soweto tour recommendation please

Which Soweto hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Nottingham, United...
reviews: 12
Soweto tour recommendation please

We'll be spending 2 days in Johannesburg in August and would like to have a look around Soweto for about half a day. I'm having trouble finding the sort of tour we would like to take. We want to see all the important historical landmarks in the township but not just by driving through on a coach. Unfortunately I can't do a bicycle tour due to a dodgy knee, though I can walk without problems. Can someone recommend one please, or suggest a way we could visit the important sites and basically just see what daily life is like in Soweto, maybe visit a home and a shebeen, walk around for a while - that sort of thing?

Edited: 5:57 am, January 06, 2011
14 replies to this topic
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 7
1. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Hi,

The bicycle tour company are also linked to the best backpackers in Soweto.

They will have the best knowledge on options for a more intimate tour of Soweto.

They will have contact details on their website. I'd recommend you contact them and ask for a referral.

Nottingham, United...
2. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Thank you SepSep.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
3. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Several years ago, we had 5 hours to kill at the airport, and we used a company called Wilpro (recommended by UK agent), to give us a tour of Soweto and a few city sights.

We were dropped off at the Hector Peitersen museum, then visited Mandelas house. I think we visited the Apartheid Museum on another day, but that too is well worth a visit.

Basically, you are getting a car and a knowedgeable driver for 3-4 hours. They will be flexible.

Nottingham, United...
4. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Thank you peterscot. Unfortunately I can't find Wilpro tours on Google. Do you have any details please?

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
5. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Peterscot - did you use Wilpro, which is based in Vic Falls, or Wilro which is in Joburg?

If Wilro, I second this recommendation. I hired a car and driver from Wilro for essentially a full day tour of Joburg (on my second visit). I laid out some general parameters of the day - Constitution Court, Number 4 and then the Apartheid Museum. The driver was extremely knowledgeable and based on our timing and my interests (as well as what I had seen on my previous tour of Soweto) added a number of additional stops in Soweto and a look around Joburg proper. These included Regina Mundi Church and Walter Sisulu Square, among others.

My guide was extremely knowledgeable, a great conversationalist and the car was clean and well maintained. He then transferred me to the airport at the end of the day.

Stanley, Falkland...
reviews: 57
6. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Sorry - it must be the Wilro outfit. I said it was a few years ago!

http://www.wilrotours.co.za/

Nottingham, United...
7. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Thank you wanderingattorney and peterscot!

Johannesburg, South...
8. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Hi Di

I run a tour business in Johannesburg and run Soweto tours. i do have a recommendation on Trip Advisor from Dave Patterson, a tour operator in the States. you can email me if you like. alan@africanjourneys.za.net

Regards, Alan

Unforgettable African Journeys

Nottingham, United...
9. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

Thank you Alan. I'll certainly bear that in mind.

10. Re: Soweto tour recommendation please

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 6:35 am, October 29, 2011

Reply to: Soweto tour recommendation please
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Soweto