We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Fast track through the JNB airport

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
North Yorkshire, UK
Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi, I want to avoid the last two years experiences of JO'burg airport, 3 hours to clear customs and immigration. Queues beyond belief and too few staff. I have contacted the airport yesterday as we fly in four weeks and I'm told to still allow 3 hours and that immigration is beyond their control as they do not employ the staff but are aware of the issues........... which is of no help to me. We are on a very very tight time schedule as there are severe roadworks on our route now adding two hours to our journey, these weren't there when I booked the flights last November and could notbe foreseen. I have enquired about a fast track and have been given customer services email and await a reply. Has anyone used a vip or fast track service to get through queues quickly and if so who or which company, was it any good and how much did it cost. Advice and thoughts please...

48 replies to this topic
Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
1. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hello, there is a company called BidAir which operate on the customs side of the airport and they assist with passengers coming through. Contact them, it will cost you but they can give you their rates. At this moment, i have been at the airport for the past few days, on international flights it seems to be taking around 1 hour from the disembarking time to the time when the client comes through the doors in the arrivals hall. But there are exceptions, the other day the Atlanta flight, there were only 2 customs people on duty and they took 1 and a half hours.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

North Yorkshire, UK
2. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi Lyn, thank you that's really helpful, I'll contact them. I have also hadd contact from a company called http://www.airportmeetandgreet.co.za/ have you heard of them, they also do Capetown airport.

North Yorkshire, UK
3. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi Lyn, just an update Bidair came straight back to me and are arranging our fast track, thank you x

Berkshire, UK
reviews: 5
4. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi Charliemouse, I'd be interested to know exactly what Bidair wil do and what it costs? We also had time issues getting through Jo'berg airport last year, just over 3hours to get through customs and immigration and then missed check in for our Nelspruit flight, cost us to then change flights! As most people do we are going back to Kruger for our 4th trip next year but don't want that airport experience again!

North Yorkshire, UK
5. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi I've just had a reply and its about £46 to take both of us through from getting off the plane to the arrivals hall, collecting luggage on the way, they describe it as vip concierge so I will report back, but at that price its worth the risk and nothing lost really.

Berkshire, UK
reviews: 5
6. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Thanks, would be great if you could update us when you are back. I would pay anything (within reason obviously) to remove the stress and hassle we had last year getting from one flight to another, that queue thro immigration was unbelievable plus we have never ran so fast in our lives and then to get to the check in desk and get no understanding from the check in staff, missed check in by 10mins but still ages until plane went. Also told that chances were that our bags had been loaded! I forget the cost but we then had to pay to get added to a later flight many hours later as the next 2 flights out were full! As you can then guess picked up car late, no time to get food supplies and constantly rushing to ensure got thro gate and to BnD before gate closure!

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 32
7. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Hi, as far as i know - airportmeetandgreet - only meet you outside the terminal, whereas BidAir meet you inside the terminal where the public are not allowed. They have special permits which allow them to do this. I am pleased this worked out for you. I deal with them all the time, yesterday had a guest with poor sight arrive in a wheelchair by BidAir, very efficient and pleasant.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

North Yorkshire, UK
8. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Thank Lynn, I'm having a little trouble paying but hopefully thats sorted. So far so good, I appreciate your help.

North Yorkshire, UK
9. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Yes it's a major problem, last year it had a massive domino effect on us as well, we ended up with a speeding fine as we were so late it got ridiculous.... which just added onto our stress. the staff at the desks seem as frustrated as the passengers but they will not give them more staff..... its not a good service. We are so dictated to by flights from the UK so timing is still a mare even without connecting flights, we drive to Kruger from Jo Burg, just as quick as a flight by the time you change planes etc... on and off.

North Yorkshire, UK
10. Re: Fast track through the JNB airport

Well so far so good, quick email and I was booked, paid by card and I am told that we are met off the plane where it lands so should be speedy. I will report back.

Reply to: Fast track through the JNB airport
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted