We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg Walking Tours

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Johannesburg Walking Tours

I plan to visit Johannesburg this month (July 2013) and would really like to sign up for walking tours before I arrive. I am especially interested in guided tours of the CBD, Hillbrow, Berea, Yeoville, etc. I hear that such tours exist but I am having difficulty finding them online. Any suggestions? Alternatively, I would not mind hiring a tour guide who knows the area.

New York City, New...
1. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

P.S. I am intereted in any walking tours, not just of the inner city. Perhaps Parktown, Kensington, etc.

Moscow, Russia
2. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Hi,

I think this company covers those areas

www.joziexperience.co.za/Rates/rates.html

Randburg, Gauteng...
reviews: 34
3. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Hello , there are walking tours which take place of Parktown, - The Parktown and Westcliff Heritage trust will give you some more information. Stay away from Hillbrow - it is dangerous.

Lyn - Owner - Thorntree Tours and Safaris

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 13
4. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Hi RJoseph,

There's a company that provides walking tours through Sandton and also around the Constitution Hill/Braamfontein area. The link (via Gauteng Tourism) is:

gauteng.net/guide/…

I, like Lyn, would not encourage you to go on a walking tour of Joburg CBD, Hillbrow, Yeoville, etc. The chances of you becoming a victim of petty crime is reasonably high, even with a knowledgeable and competent guide. These areas, although densely populated, are areas that many locals would avoid completely, and international visitors would be even more of a target for petty crimes. I'm a street-wise kid, but I would be extremely hesitant to enter those areas, even by day, and I know them pretty well.

Parktown is OK, and Braamfontein and Constitution Hill are quite geared for business, hence substantially safer IMHO.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 7
5. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Please don't be discouraged from the Joburg CBD. There are many highlights in the CBD and many of them safely accessible on a walking tour.

Look at: http://www.mainstreetwalks.co.za/

Also consider visiting the Maboneng Distrist which has a great Sunday market and lots of restaurants and shops open all week. www.mabonengdistrict.co.za

@Bushkid0 - hoping you'll venture into the CBD one of these days, you might be pleasantly surprised at what you find. You might find that you don't know these places very well.

Edited: 5:46 am, July 08, 2013
Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 102
6. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Check out http://www.newtown.co.za/news.php?id=216 - Newtown is a great place to visit with lots to do.

Agreed on many of the posts above - stay away from Hillbrow/Yoeville/Berea, but Melville, Maboneng, CBD, Parktown etc and the other suggesstions above will give you great insights. I often have to go into CBD for meetings or my dentist, and have felt safe. Lots of police presence, as well as cameras. It is just busy and active, and lots of people.

There are also the Randlord tours, and gardens of JHB, and the ghost tour - I have not been on these myself, but may be interesting for you to look into. I came across this, which may be useful to you urbanadventures.com/johannesburg_tour_Jozi_b…

As with any large city anywhere in the world, there are safe and unsafe places. Just be aware, don't act or look like a tourist, keep your valuable safe somewhere, try to find reputable guides and companies. South AFricans are generally friendly and helpful. If you have to draw money, rather do it before you go on a walk, or use your credit card, and only draw money inside a shopping centre, not on a busy street.

Otherwise, have FUN, and enjoy the hustle and bustle, sights and sounds and smells of our wonderful country.

Pretoria, South...
reviews: 13
7. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

Great advice from Wolery and Sep-Sep above.

And Sep-Sep, I do "venture" into the CBD, and Hillbrow, quite often (and have for the past 5 decades). I'm rarely surprised at it. Well not pleasantly anyway. I just try to avoid it these days - it saddens me now.

I'm not particularly worried if the OP chooses to do walking tours in the city or Hillbrow or anywhere else, as long as they understand what they might be facing. If they've been advised what to maybe expect by posters acting in good faith, there is no problem.

8. Re: Johannesburg Walking Tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 am, July 10, 2014