We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Alpharetta, Georgia
reviews: 7
Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

Its our first trip to SA, we arrive on a Friday morning from Europe and arrival time is 8:40AM. I imagine we have to go through immigration (all 5 of us are US passport holders), clear customs etc.

and re check for CPT flight. My question is, what is a reasonable departure time to connect for a flight to Cape Town? Is 11:00 AM departure cutting it too close? Not familiar with JNB at all, so welcome some advise.

South Africa
reviews: 63
1. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

JNB airport is very easy. In the morning it can be very bussy at immigration. And at least one hour before departing to CPT you need to be checked in. So rather take a later flight, that is mich better. With your lugage to domestic, first floor is a short walk.

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
2. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

provided you book your flights on one ticket and your incoming flight is not delayed, the time 8:40/11:00 is enough to catch your flight to CT. Check in for domestic flights normally closes 30 minutes before departure.

Most flights from Europe (as far as I know) are coming in earlier than 8:40 so it should not be that busy at immigration.

If booked on 1 ticket and your incoming flight is delayed so much that you wont make your connecting flight, they will put you on the next possible one anyway.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Edited: 4:57 pm, April 16, 2013
Johannesburg, South...
3. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

Hi,

Sounds ok. You should have plenty of time, unless you have a major delay getting through immigration.

Have you already booked your domestic flight to CT. Perhaps to be on the safe side 12pm is probably better. You don't want to have the stress of having to rush to make your dometic flight, if something unforeseen happens.

Hope the advice helps. Let me know if you need anything else.

Rgds.

Brett, Owner, Safaris For Me, SA

South Africa
reviews: 63
4. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

In the mornings some A380 are coming in around the same time, so a lot of people and immigration people sitting there are not a lot! We had to stand in line for 2 hours!! So just a warning!

Cheshire,
reviews: 7
5. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

We are flying from the UK, normally we go direct to Cape Town but this time are changing at JNB, we were under the impression from the agent that we booked with that we check in at our first airport and then thats it just straight through passport control etc when we get to JNB, but from this thread it appears we have to collect our luggage and checkin again?

Weybridge
reviews: 56
6. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

Hi,

That is correct, you will have to clear Customs and Immigration at Johannesburg, collect your bags, walk to the Domestic Departures, and check in with your luggage. Tis a pain, I know.

Tracey - Owner/Director, Travel Butlers

Italy
Destination Expert
for Livigno, Lombardy
reviews: 127
7. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

Yes you have to check in your luggage again but JNB isn't a very busy airport at least not compared to some European hubs so you should have enough time.

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 88
8. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

I would also advise that you take a later flight. Getting through immigration can be a hassle with the number of planes arriving at about the same time.

9. Re: Flight Connection Time at JNB airport for Domestic to CPT

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, April 20, 2014