We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eight days out of Johannesburg

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Seattle, Washington
Eight days out of Johannesburg

Hello All,

I'll be in Johannesburg in April for two weeks of work and plan to follow it up with a week of vacation starting on Saturday moning of the 20th and flying back to the US Saturday evening the 27th, I'm flying in and out of JNB (OR Tambo). I have little time to plan and could really use advice,

This is my first trip to Africa. I'm in my late 40's and will be traveling alone. I'd like to have a fun trip but not spend too much.

High on my list is a visit to Kruger to see some animals. My trip budget once in SA is around $1500.

3-4 days in Kruger: Organized safari or go to a camp and then do some of the organized day drives? The downside of some of the organized trips out of Joburg is that it's all nicely packaged, but the tend to be pricy. Upside is knowledgable guides and meeting other people in the group.

Then where to? After seeing some animals I have an interest in history and learning more about South Africa's culture. What are other good destinations in the area if I'm driving? Is it too far to head down to the battlefields around Dundee? Any other great cultural or historical sites I should not miss?

Cheers,

Mike

Ficksburg, South...
reviews: 91
1. Re: Eight days out of Johannesburg

What about a self drive to Kruger? Its an easy drive. You could head to the Hazyview area. You can drive around the park yourself quite easily. If you want to experience a game drive you can easily book one at the Entrance gate, either mornig or eve drives are possible, with a game ranger.

Pilgrims Rest. Its a beautifully restored town. Here's a link with some ideas safarinow.com/things-to-do/…default.aspx.

The scenic route Gods window, Bourkes potholes, Long Tom pass has some spectacular scenery and is well worth a visit.

If you enjoy history , then you should also consider a visit to the Cradle of Humankind safarinow.com/things-to-do/…default.aspx

New York
reviews: 87
2. Re: Eight days out of Johannesburg

kZN is lovely and the Drackensbergs in particular are beautiful. The prior post about the passes is correct. They are remarkable but hard to appreciate while driving. Get someone to show you the rock paintings.

Seattle, Washington
3. Re: Eight days out of Johannesburg

Thanks. Great web site. Still planning...

4. Re: Eight days out of Johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, March 23, 2014