We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to hire a private tour guide?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Hilo, Hawaii
Where to hire a private tour guide?

I am planning to travel to Joburg with 11 family members in October. Rather than having someone lose out on the sites and scenes, we'd prefer to have a local drive us around. Anyone has any ideas on where I can find a reliable and safe chauffeur service who is also knowledgeable about the city, places to go, cultural and historical. Would like to visit Soweto and Mandela's home but do not want to be hung up by set schedules. Dire need to be flexible. Thanks for your help.

13 replies to this topic
Johannesburg...
11. Re: Where to hire a private tour guide?

For Soweto Township I would suggest that you set aside a day so you can take a full day tour of Soweto Township which includes a visit to Apartheid Museum, Hector Pieterson Museum (dedicated to the 1976 students uprising), Vilakazi Street Precinct (the only street in the world to have two Nobel Peace Prize winners as neighbours and includes Nelson Mandela House Museum & Bishop Desmond Tutu House as well). You can visit Credo Mutwa Cultural Village (The village offers an outdoor museum of African art, culture and folklore. Created over a period of ten years by the world renowned Zulu shaman, artist, painter, author, environmentalist and traditional healer. The village also serves to highlight the key role played by traditional culture within an urban environment. Landscaped with a variety of indigenous plants including many used in traditional medicine), historical and heritage sites in Soweto. You can have a buffet lunch at one of the many top restaurants that offer great South African cuisines. You can see also great buildings such as the Orlando Twin Towers, Soccer City Stadium. A full day tour usually takes about 8-9 hours, so you have plenty to do. Enjoy.

Nathan Ngwenya (Soweto Voyage - Owner Manager)

Edited: 5:13 am, August 05, 2013
Massapequa Park, NY
reviews: 26
12. Re: Where to hire a private tour guide?

Gavin - I tried to send you a private message re tour guides, but am not sure if it went through. Please let me know if you received it. Thank you

13. Re: Where to hire a private tour guide?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 8:35 pm, August 13, 2013

Reply to: Where to hire a private tour guide?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted