We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Johannesburg & Cape Town

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Markham
Johannesburg & Cape Town

My daughter and a few of her friends will be visiting SA in mid-March. Could someone tell me - What the weather would be like for this time period ? - Are there any particular Restaurants and night life they should visit and eat at ? - Are food items very expensive i.e. lunch and dinner to purchase? If so, how much money should she/they budget for. Should she be vaccinated against anything or take any kind of medication with her, when she goes ? Thank you.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
1. Re: Johannesburg & Cape Town

Sorry but a few questions to you first. South Africa is a very big country and the weather patterns vary. Again, rather a difficult job to recommend restaurants all over the country - it is generally appreciably cheaper to dine out in SA than in the UK. The only vaccinations which may be appropriate are if they are visiting malarial regions. So please whereabouts will they be visiting and then I am sure you will get plenty of good advice.

Somerset
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
2. Re: Johannesburg & Cape Town

Sorry, too late to edit but my comments regarding malaria are of course wrong.

There is not a vaccine - if they are visiting a malaria risk area they should seek advice/consider taking anti-malaria prophylaxis, like malarone. So further info regarding their movements is needed before offering further advice

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
3. Re: Johannesburg & Cape Town

This is as easy to answer, as if the heading were "London and Edinburgh", and asking the very same question concerning the UK.

I can say no vaccinations are needed, unless the people intend visiting, or transitting Zambia, in which case, a Yellow Fever vaccine is mandatory.

Other than that, as the poster above mentioned, malaria prophylaxis, if they are visiting an area where malaria is endemic (Northern and eastern regions).

Dining can vary from very cheap to very reasonable, depending on which one of the thousands of restaurants is selected.

In general, cheaper than the UK or USA . Take away food is generally available in all areas, either from "fast food" outlets, or most supermarkets.

The weather varies from region to region, but March is late summer, so expect fairly warm weather

4. Re: Johannesburg & Cape Town

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:16 am, February 21, 2014