We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

safety in johannesburg

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Great Western...
safety in johannesburg

My husband and I are flying to Johannesburg for a week then we are going on a 6 day safari in kruger. Since we have booked a lot of people are saying that Johannesburg is a unsafe city. I would like to know from someone who has travelled there if it is and if there is certain places to avoid. We are staying at African Pride Melrose Arch.

Johannesburg
reviews: 47
1. Re: safety in johannesburg

You will have no more problem in the area of Melrose Arch than you would expect in any other major city in the world. Just be vigilant and do not flaunt expensive possessions - the same advice I would give a tourist to any other major city. I have lived in Johannesburg all my life and have only been mugged twice - once in Rome and once in Barcelona.

You will need to arrange other sightseeing for Johannesburg - there is not enough to see and do in Melrose Arch for a week. Some suggestions - Newly opened hop on hop off bus - use this to visit the Apartheid Museum. Book a tour of Soweto. North of the city you will find - Lesedi Cultural Village, Sterkfontein Caves, Sun City, Elephant Sanctuary, Cheetah Research Centre, Maropeng. Enjoy

Great Western...
2. Re: safety in johannesburg

Thankyou for the information! Will go to all the places you suggested. I live in Australia where things are quite different and am looking forward to seeing South Africa and hopefully the big 5. We wll also be going to Capetown after the safari.

Oviedo, Florida
reviews: 1
3. Re: safety in johannesburg

I am hopefully going to Johannesburg this summer. We will be staying in the Rosebank area and from what I've heard, this is a safer community. Can anyone confirm this for me? Thanks.

Johannesburg
4. Re: safety in johannesburg

Rosebank is also a great area, with the same cautions as above.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
5. Re: safety in johannesburg

Johannesburg is as safe as any major city of 8 million.

Safer than many.

For example, Saõ Paulo, New Orleans, Baltimore, Detroit all have more murders per 100000 than Johannesburg.

All cities have good, and bad areas.

I have lived in Johannesburg all my life, and never been mugged. I have a friend who has been mugged twice ... once in Rome, and once in London!

Use common sense, and don't do anything silly like going into an unfamiliar area alone, at night, just as you would never do at home.

If in doubt ask!

Follow this advice and you will be perfectly OK

PaulaA126 from Blackpool, UK, recently had this to say:

""4. Re: Walking from The Gautrain to Crowne Plaza Rosebank

Jan 29, 2013, 2:56 PM

Well after my Trip to South Africa i can say I feel more safe walking thru Rosebank than I do in a few citys in the UK.""

RElax and enjoy your visit, You'll be fine.

Edited: 1:26 am, January 31, 2013
Great Western...
6. Re: safety in johannesburg

I would also like to know about driving from Johannesburg to Kruger! We have hired a car but have also been told that there are safety issues about doing that.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
7. Re: safety in johannesburg

Who is feeding you all this scary nonsense?

Make sure you have a valid driver's licence, adhere to the speed limit, follow the rules of the road, watch out for other drivers making stupid mistakes, stop only at filling stations, and not just anywhere alongside the road, and you will be perfectly OK.

100's of thousands of people drive to Kruger on a yearly basis.

I myself drive that route at least once per year, if not more.

Gavin

Owner, Serval Tours and Transfers

Edited: 8:18 am, January 31, 2013
Great Western...
8. Re: safety in johannesburg

Thankyou for your reply, it certainly makes me feel a lot better about our vacation. I have actually heard many of these things said by South Africans that now live in Australia!

9. Re: safety in johannesburg

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may repost if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 8:54 pm, April 06, 2013
Johannesburg
10. Re: safety in johannesburg

I dont wish to underplay any event experienced by those who have chosen to leave South Africa - we do have our problems.

But it is my experience that in order to cope with the difficulties of emigration, people often talk only about the negative events and this leads to the impression that the country is in a far worse state than it actually is.