We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Madikwe or Eastern Cape (Pumba, Shamwari) Safari

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
Madikwe or Eastern Cape (Pumba, Shamwari) Safari

Hi,

I am looking to do a 2 night stay at a Safari when I am visiting South Africa early May 2013. by way of background, this is my first safari, and i am comparing the options of either Madikwe or Eastern Cape such as Pumba.

I will be staying for 2 nights, which equates to 4 game drives in total. Madiwke is much bigger than Pumba, and hence i am aware that game viewing here MAY be better for that reason. However, the costs at Madiwke exceed that of Pumba due to the flights.

I am not certain whether it is worthwhile to pay more just for Madiwke, and am hoping to get opinions whether Safaris on the eastern cape are comparable.

Would greatly appreciate any comments/opinions! Thanks.

Frankfurt, Germany
reviews: 60
1. Re: Madikwe or Eastern Cape (Pumba, Shamwari) Safari

I would definitely recommend Madikwe. The game reserves in the Cape just cannot compete with the true bush experience you get at Madikwe or the the Kruger Park area. If it is your first safari then I would also suggest you stay at least 3-4 nights in Madikwe, otherwise like you mentioned it is just not worth it.

During May there are always excellent packages and great prices which makes these camps much more affordable. I find that you get better value for money in Madikwe and Kruger.

The sightings at Madikwe are really excellent and this is one of the rare game reserves that has wild dogs. The size of the game reserve is not really that important as larger reserves obviously have more animals. The game reserves in the Western Cape are pretty small and some of them even keep their lions separately.

If you really want the true Africa feeling go for Madikwe - it's worth the extra effort!

Regards

Michelle from Cape Town Guide

Edited: 11:29 am, January 08, 2013
2. Re: Madikwe or Eastern Cape (Pumba, Shamwari) Safari

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:17 am, January 10, 2014