We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
reviews: 58
What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

I have been reading through all the posts and reviews I can find and I'm still unsure about what area we should stay in April for 2 nights (late Sunday through Tuesday evening). Me and two friends will be coming off of an overland camping tour and want a little bit more luxury (private baths, comfy beds) but a reasonable price (ideally less than about $120/night/room).

We don't want to rent a car, therefore we are looking to stay somewhere with restaurants and stuff close by so we won't have to waste too much time and money on transportation. We've been looking at Rosebank and Melville mostly because of the concentrations of well-priced B&Bs/guesthouses. Rosebank seems kind of sterile but possibly more convenient for getting around? Melville seems like more fun, but possibly too young for us (we're all mid-late 30s) and possibly more difficult to get around? I was kind of concerned because some of the tour companies I found don't seem to pick up in Melville--is this just the luck of what I found on the internet, or will that actually be a problem? Is the proximity to the Gautrain really that much of a convenience or is a cab to the airport fairly reasonable for 3 people?

All we want to do with our short time is do a day tour, possibly get a massage or something, eat some good food and drink some wonderful South African wine, so we just want to stay in the most convenient and economical area where we will be able to catch a tour and such. Any suggestions or further considerations welcomed. Thanks!

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Parkhurst is a good area. Most tour companies will pick up and drop off at the clients hotel / lodge, if asked

South Africa
reviews: 61
2. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Well then for you this THE place to be. Www.soulfusion.co.za. There no 1 on TA.

We have stayed here too for a long time.

paris
reviews: 26
3. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

However be aware that the above suggestion in Kyalami is absolutely in the middle of nowhere in terms of your specific query and requirements. For convenience you need to stay somewhere much more central. We always stay in a guesthouse from the following website www,sandtonexclusive.com and next month staying at a Ashdown Lodge,

Edited: 5:06 am, December 29, 2012
paris
reviews: 26
4. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Apologies for typing error - should read www.sandtonexclusive.com and its Ashdown House not Lodge.

South Africa
reviews: 61
5. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Well Kyalami is very quiet place, but close to very good resraurants and shops.

And the guesthouse is no. 1

Hazyview, South...
reviews: 10
6. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Having lived for 7 years just around the corner from Kyalami, I also suggest to rather look at Sandton and Rosebank, as you are not planning to hire a car.

My first choice without a car would be Sandton.

Klaus

-Owner Abangane-

Hazyview

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 27
7. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

I wouldn't recommend Midrand either. I'd go for anywhere within a 5 km radius of Rosebank (includes Parkhurst, Melville and the nearer reaches of Sandton).

Edited: 7:33 am, December 29, 2012
Benoni, South Africa
reviews: 51
8. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

Stay in Melrose Arch . I think there are 4 hotels there now. Direct access from the Gautrain using the Gautrain bus on arrival in Sandton then once you are there, you do not need any transport as the area is a fully secure and has between 20 and 30 Restaurants , all the major retail outlets and some night clubs etc.

Cape Town
reviews: 37
9. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

I would also suggest Sandton, Melville, Rosebank or Greenside. There are really afordable places for you to stay and not to far from the attractions you are looking for.

Goodluck!

Take 2 Tours,

Sanobia

Mumbai (Bombay...
reviews: 9
10. Re: What neighborhood to stay in for 2 days during the week?

I'd recommend Sandton for your stay. It has some of the best hotels in Jo'burg and an excellent nightlife @ Sandton City/Mandela Square.