We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Expense in Gauteng , SA.

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, Illinois
Expense in Gauteng , SA.

Hello,

I am moving to SA with my family ( spouse and 3 years old son).

My office would be located in Hyde Park area so I am planning to stay nearby ( Sandthon?).

I have a few questions regarding living expenses in SA. I know it depends upon your lifestyle but I am talking in general terms.

I did some calculation and came up with below mentioned numbers. Do these numbers look realistic or they are too optimistic or vice versa?

Gross : R50000

After Tax : R36000 ( Aprox)

House Rent ( 2 BHK full furnished in Sandthon area) : R12000

Car Expenses ( Initally I would rent it ) : R5000

Medical Insurance : R3000 ( Myself , Spouse and my son)

Pre-school + Day Care ( for my son , he is 3 years old) : R5000

Other Expenses ( Internet + 2 Mobile Phones + Satelite TV) :R2500

Fuel ( It depends upon usage) : R1000

Do you think I can save on any of the above mentioned figures somehow?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks.

Randburg, South...
reviews: 13
1. Re: Expense in Gauteng , SA.

Hi Ian

The gross salary that you mention is a given in terms of the work you are coming to do? Depending on your line of business, it could be unrealistically high - however the tax rate is about right. Sandton would not be my first choice for accommodation though - I'm sure you could find something more reasonable in the surrounding areas. I live 50km away from my place of work...

I have a friend who does rentals - will find out for you.

I only had a quick look at possible car rental rates and it would appear that R5000 a month will be insufficient-the one site I saw had a limit on the mileage and added in LOTS of extra charges. 3

Medical insurance rates differ greatly & it would depend on the type required - for example a hospital plan only or something more comprehensive that covers visits to a doctor/dentist.

Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 6
2. Re: Expense in Gauteng , SA.

I suggest that you have a look at suburbs in Hyde Park, Craighall Park and Rosebank. Very nice suburbs and there are some nice pre schools.

Sandton is a very expensive suburb.

Agnes

Felleng

Chicago, Illinois
3. Re: Expense in Gauteng , SA.

Thanks for your responses.

I will try to find out a apartment in Craighall , Craighall park, Hyde Park and Rosebank areas.

4. Re: Expense in Gauteng , SA.

Hi Ian

I don't know if its too late for advises but have a look at thrifty rental car, used to rent a car for R 5000 with all included

Regarding medical aid, take a very known one so you will get no pb

Like discovery or sizwe

Good luck!

5. Re: Expense in Gauteng , SA.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, February 02, 2014