We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 15
Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

These two hostels have the highest rating. I am a single traveler. Any recommendation? Staying for 2 nights, and actually only 1 full day. Plan to visit lion park and maybe rosebank market?

which one would be more accessible since i do not drive.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

Either way, you are going to need a taxi.

Lebo's is 37 Km from the Lion Park, and .23 Km from Rosebank Market and 48 Km from the airport

Ghandi is 41 Km from Lion Park, and 9 Km from Rosebank Market, and 19 km from the airport

Your choice.

Edited: 10:07 am, November 30, 2012
Johannesburg, South...
reviews: 141
2. Re: Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

Johannesburg is huge!

Kensington isn't the nicest area, it has some nice parts and some really crumby parts, so I'd be careful there.

Orlando west is probably the nicest part of Soweto but it is very far from the airport and the centre of town.

Soweto's a great place to stay for one day though as you can see the Vilakazi street museums, the towers, the stadium. It's closer to the Apartheid museum and Gold reef City.

Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
3. Re: Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

I live in Kensington, and have done for 20 years.

There's nothing wrong with the area.

And it has a lot of history, and interesting places. have a look at the following links:

www.heritageportal.co.za/location/kensington

meetup.com/FunSeekers-Johannesburg/…

I have never been robbed, burgled, or mugged, or hijacked. In fact NOTHING.

There plenty of worse areas in Johannesburg.

Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 15
4. Re: Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

Thanks! I think I am going for Ghandi backpackers. Soweto does not arrange tours to Rhino and Lion park and the shuttle services are very expensive.

5. Re: Lebo's Soweto Backpackers or Gandhi Backpackers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 10:15 am, December 17, 2013