We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Renting a Cell Phone

Which Johannesburg hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Philadelphia...
reviews: 7
Renting a Cell Phone

hello everyone. it's me again!

im all set for my trip to south africa in august. my cell phone will not work there, and as i am a solo female traveler, i am not comfortable being without a cell phone.

can i rent one? ideally i'd like to get it right in the airport. also, i'll be flying into capetown, but leaving out of joburg, so can i rent in one place, and return in another? what specific companies should i look for?

i searched this forum for this topic, but all of the responses are from 4-5 years ago, so i was hoping to find more up-to-date info.

thanks much!

Edited: 11:13 pm, May 29, 2012
Johannesburg, South...
Destination Expert
for Johannesburg
reviews: 23
1. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

I think it will solve your problem, have a look at this link:

cellhire.com/products/…southafrica

enjoy your visit

Regards

Gavin

Owner, Serval tours & Transfers

Cape Town
Destination Expert
for Cape Town
reviews: 70
2. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

Hi,

I suggest you buy an inexpensive phone for about R150 - this will be cheaper than renting one and your sim card will be unused. Cheap phones can be purchased at places like Game, Pep Stores and Woolworths. You will have to register the sim card and this requires passport and proof of (hotel) address.

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
3. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

Hi

We have rented a cellphone from Vodacom shops on all three of our visits.

It is very easy, we simply book ahead online and the phone is ready for us to pick up. On arrival we go straight to the Vodacom shop in the airport and collect the phone and drop it back when we leave. Have done this at both JHB and CT airports and you can drop it off at a different store from where you collected it.

The cost is very cheap, you don't pay rental, just a small insurance for the phone and any usage. We only used it once for a text so the cost was minimal.

Philadelphia...
reviews: 7
4. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

thanks for your help everyone!

Manchester, United...
reviews: 105
5. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

Why not just buy a cheap unlocked phone off ebay. Nokia 6021 are pretty good. Then buy the sim card. shove it in off you go.

Earth
reviews: 127
6. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

To the sandmans

Could you provide URL for Vodaphone reservation at JNB? Thanks

Gold Coast
Destination Expert
for Kruger National Park
reviews: 22
7. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

Hi boudecca,

The link is www.cellucity.co.za

hope this helps.

Regards,

thesandmans

8. Re: Renting a Cell Phone

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 22, 2013