We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

Which Jerome hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Farmingdale, New...
reviews: 32
1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

We spent 3 nights in Sedona and the best time was spent in Jerome. We loved Sedona, but there was just something about touring Jerome that made our trip extra special. We had breakfast at Bobby D's on the out door patio. We had wine tasting and enjoyed the great conversation and learned about the area from the lovely girl who served us. I can not remember the name of the wine place, but it was right below Bobby D's on the corner of the street. We then found the sliding jail and walked back up to the main street. Did most of the stores and read the history as we went along. We also met and spoke to the Chief of Police who made us feel at home and could not thank us enough for visiting. We also went into the Jerome Grand Hotel and walked thru the Asylum Restaurant.

We spent half a day in Jerome, ending with visiting Douglas Mansion. We were so engrossed with the movie and Mansion that we forgot all about trying to find the glass to look down into the mines.

I read a lot of boards about Sedona, Grand Canyon and Jerome,while planning our trip. Most said to spend majority of your time in Sedona, one day in the Grand Canyon and only see Jerome if you have extra time while in Sedona. I used this advise to change our plans from 2 days in Sedona and 2 days in the GC to 3 in Sedona and 1 at CG. This was a good decision especially since it allowed us to spend 1/2 day in Jerome. Although we enjoyed Sedona, took a jeep tour and hit all the major places to visit Jerome was the highlight of the trip.

We will certainly visit again and hope at some point to visit in October to take advantage of all they do for Halloween. If you are thinking about going, don't think, just do it. You will not be sorry.

5 replies to this topic
Roswell, Georgia
reviews: 14
1. Re: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

Great to hear about your visit. We'll have to be sure to spend some time in Jerome during our 3 nights in Sedona. And we will be there at the end of October! :-)

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 144
2. Re: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

Glad you enjoyed it. The key is to give it the time that you did. The history is as old and deep as any in AZ. The folks who live there now are a unique crowd too. You need to look beyond the retail level.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 27
3. Re: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

I love small towns and Jerome is about as authentic as you can get...you can still literally feel the history there and imagine "when" ...thanks for sharing your report.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 586
4. Re: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

Jerome sure is a very special place, not least due to its setting. It's just not what most "non-Westerners" (I mean people not from the US West) associate with 'ghost town'. They have a John Ford / Howard Hawks image in their heads. Not many 'real' paces confirm to that the way hardly any castle or ruin thereof looks like the Disneyworld logo, or ever did - with the marked exception of Neu Schwanstein, but anyway ... Jerome is definitely worth a visit because it is very much alive and the past is alive ...

Springfield, IL
reviews: 32
5. Re: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT

Thanks so much for the tip! We'll be going to Jerome during our planned week in Sedona now. :)

Reply to: 1/2 day touring Jerome and LOVED IT
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Jerome
Recent Conversations