We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

Which Globe hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

Gonna spend one day and night in Superior next week. I know Superior is not exactly a big tourist kind of town but what are some things to do or see in Superior? Any particular scenic beauty spots for pictures? Are there are high points that over look the town at night? Any restaurant recommendations?

Thanks!

***Note*** BTW I chose Globe as my town forum because Superior was not listed and Globe is the closest town to Superior.

Edited: 3:02 am, June 09, 2013
13 replies to this topic
1. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post either because the author requested it, or because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11:47 am, June 11, 2013

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
reviews: 80
2. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

Didn't know there was anyplace to stay overnight in Superior! Boyce Thompson Arboretum is wonderful, but you will have to go early in this heat - they are open from 6am to 2pm. We haven't eaten at any restaurants in Superior, but the Jade Grill is often recommended. I think the world's smallest museum is in Superior - you will have to call ahead to check when it is open. If you drive east as far as Florence Junction (not a town, just the junction of routes 60 and 79) you will get good views of the Superstition Mountains and Weavers Needle. A friend who works in Florence recommends a Greek restaurant there.

Tucson, Arizona
reviews: 11
3. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

From Superior, you would have to drive WEST to get to Oracle Junction. I don't know of anything to see in Superior, but the Salt River Canyon is only about an hour away.

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
4. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

I will admit I am directionally challenged! Yes, you would drive WEST to get to Florence Junction. Mike, I can't believe you haven't been to the arboretum.

Edited: 2:23 pm, June 09, 2013
Scottsdale, Arizona
5. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

For food you might try the really great Mexican food at El Rey in Globe. They also have, for some reason, a really tasty Burger King. If you are allowed to take your vehicle on gravel roads, you could then take a spin down to what I consider the most authentic western town in Arizona, Young. This place is lost in time. It actually has an authentic general store just like in the movies!

Austin, Texas
reviews: 1
6. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

Carracar: Yes I planned on visiting Boyce Arboretum and it seems that's one of the very few things to do in Superior. It seems to be a pretty town so I guess I'll just walk around and enjoy the scenery.

MarianReader: I found two motels in Superior. Copper Mountain motel and El Portal hotel. Copper Mountain looks pretty old and run down but cute so I'll probably stay there. I'll assume they'll have plenty of vacancies. I didnt know Boyce Arboretum closed that early so thanks for the heads up, I'll try and get out there earlier than planned. And I understand The World's Smallest Museum is only opened on the weekends and I'll only be there on Tuesday. Unless of course the desire becomes too strong and i decide to wait in Superior until Saturday for the sole purpose of seeing what is sure to be historical magic at The World's Smallest Museum. I'll keep Jade Grill in mind.

Ugyved2: There's a Mexican restaurant in Superior called Los Hermanos that got some pretty good reviews so I was gonna try that but I'll consider El Rey in Globe as well. I'll keep Young in mind too.

Thanks for the ideas! I know Superior gave y'all little to work with...

Mesa, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Tempe
7. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

The movie U Turn was partially filmed there - I have not seen and you should google it for more information.

tucson az
Destination Expert
for Tucson, Arizona, Northern Mexico
reviews: 58
8. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

BTW Superior is a speed trap plus police look for things like bad taillights, no insurance, etc. I once didn't have a copy of current insurance in RV, and had to drive all the way back to this town later to show my insurance in court and avoid a $350 fine. My fault, yes, but the police had no reason when I asked when I was pulled over. Actually not legal but an illegal search defense doesn't work in a small town traffic court. The "judge" is often not even a lawyer.

Harleysville...
Destination Expert
for Fountain Hills
reviews: 198
9. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

We were at Boyce in April and they recommended Porter's Cafe on Main St for lunch. We went there and really liked it a lot. It was a fun, lively place. Other than Boyce, we wouldn't go to Superior to do sight seeing. The AZ Trail is just before Boyce and if you are into hiking, that has some good options.

Marina, California
Destination Expert
for Tucson
reviews: 98
10. Re: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?

I know they've been working on developing a new mine in Superior, so you may want to call ahead, as that would fill the motels. Although it looks like the mine is in limbo currently.

Get over to Globe if you're not already. I know you have your heart set on Superior, but it's a bit of a misnomer, honestly. And it's going to be so hot there in the summer, that you may have issues filling up a day except driving round-trip to Globe. The El Rey, mentioned above, is a favorite of mine as well. Super cheap too.

Reply to: 24 hours in Superior, Az. What is there to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Globe
More Globe Topics