We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Jobing.com Arena

Which Glendale hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Brantford, Canada
reviews: 11
Jobing.com Arena

Hi there ... might be heading to Arizona to see a Coyotes game in December. Anyone know of nice but reasonable priced hotels within walking distance. If I go, I may be staying 5 days. Anything else with reasonable distance for sights to see? thanks

20 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
1. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Are you planning on spending 5 days out by the arena without a car? You might want to rethink that plan.

Brantford, Canada
2. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Unfortunately, won't have access to rental car. Is there any type of public transportation/cabs to stay further away from arena? Never been to this area of the US. Was just thinking of adding a couple days extra if hockey game plans go ahead. Coming from Canada so ....... !!!!!

Phoenix, Arizona
3. Re: Jobing.com Arena

This area of the country is very big...spread out. Where is the location of the primary purpose of your visit? This will help narrow your options.

Brantford, Canada
4. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Primary purpose is the hockey game, just thought we'd see what else was around while there. Long trip for just flying in/out for game.

Phoenix, Arizona
5. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Since you are from Canada, I can understand why you would be desperate for a game after 5 whole days. The rink is really out in the middle of nowhere. I suggest you get a nice hotel close to the airport and the light rail which will take you to a great many places to keep you occupied during your stay. Getting all the way out to the arena will be tough and pricey. But, here's an idea. Make a reservation for a Super Shuttle van to take you from the airport to the arena. Also make a reservation for the shuttle to pick you up after the game and a couple of beverages afterward to take you back to the airport. Then if you stay close to the airport you can either walk or light rail to your room. It's kind of a weasle move but it should work until everybody starts doing it.

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 480
6. Re: Jobing.com Arena

When I need to get to Sky Harbor or to be picked up there and taken home to Wickenburg, I always use Lon Chaneyfield. He's an independent contract driver and he'll give you a fair flat rate for where you wanna go. His vehicle is always clean, he's reliable, courteous and on time. You can contact him at 480-809-7777 or Lon462@msn.com

Or you can use Discount Cabs - www.discountcabs.com, (602) 200-2000. I haven't used them, but friends of mine have and were happy with the service.

Brantford, Canada
7. Re: Jobing.com Arena

thanks very much Donbacsi & Esty666 for the advice. I may have to re-think this particular trip & maybe take a two week vacation & do the whole Grand Canyon etc. I really appreciate your help!

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
8. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Well, if you can do that, I mean extend it to include the Grand Canyon, you should definitely do that. Do bear in mind though that during December you can encounter snow at the GC - nothing major, and to someone from Canada it will probably seem ridiculous. However, the south rim is at over 7000 ft and sometimes snowstorms close the roads up above, say, Flagstaff, for a night or a day - but there's also a good chance in December that this will not happen.

What's more, getting to the GC w/o a rental car would be a bit of a tall (and tedious) order. (Not sure what you mean you have no access to a rental car ... no driver's license?)

The Valley (Phoenix area - actually, all of the desert) will give you pleasantly warm days in December - with the possibility of a drizzly day. Nights can get cold - but, again, to you that would probably still feel really warm - everything is relative.

There are really attractions galore within about two hours' driving from Phoenix - such as some authentic old western towns (Wickenburg and Prescott), old gold mines you can tour (Vulture Mine outside Wickenburg), Montezuma Castle and Montezuma Well ... Walnut Canyon, Sunset Crater and Wupatki outside Flagstaff (on the way to the GC) ... there's really no dearth of attractions.

Edited: 7:22 am, August 27, 2012
Brantford, Canada
9. Re: Jobing.com Arena

Esty666 ... decided to head to Arizona regardless of hockey but just a few days. No rental car access as I don't drive & my aunt has taken a fall & can't drive now either. Do you know of any bus trips from Glendale area that go to GC? I would assume it would be an all-day excursion, but still interested none the less (I can always sleep on the plane ride home LOL)

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
10. Re: Jobing.com Arena

I've never used public transportation or private tour operators - but I've heard they exist. in any case, I would definitely not recommend doing this as a day trip. spend a night at the grand Canon, stay at one of the in-park hotels for a night. Otherwise, as a day trip, you won't get much out of it! you'd spend more time getting there and back than actually at the GC! I've done it from home, which is an hour closer to it than Phoenix, but then I set out at 5 a.m. and drove myself straight there. It's a long day! Make it an overnight stay!!!

Reply to: Jobing.com Arena
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted