We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

5 days in AZ... What to do?

Which Chandler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NC
5 days in AZ... What to do?

I'm traveling to Chandler, AZ, for 5 days for a work-related conference in April. I will be traveling alone and will have quite a bit of free time on my hands while I'm there. Looking for suggestions for day trips and/or things to do in the evenings (4 pm and later).

10 replies to this topic
Phoenix, Arizona
reviews: 27
1. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

Your profile doesn't tellus anything about you, and we don't know what you like to do. So, why not start with this list of 118 things to do in Phoenix?

tripadvisor.com/Attractions-g31310-Activitie…

Wickenburg, Arizona
Destination Expert
for Wickenburg
reviews: 475
2. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

If you want nature, you could go to the Superstition Mountains just east of Phoen ix / Mesa / Apache Junction. Parl at the Lost Dutchman state park on 88 and explore a bit, then have a cold drink or an ice cream at Goldfield just a quarter mile down the road (you've passed it on the way to SP).

Or a day trip to Wickenburg (roughly 55 miles west on 60), an authentic little western town with a great museum, many shops and good restaurants. It's been voted in the top ten most authentic western towns several times.

But yeah, we'd have to know more about what you like. Always assuming you'll have a rental car, too ...

Edited: 12:29 am, March 05, 2012
NC
3. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

I just spent some time updating my profile. Sorry... even though I registered on this site in 2005, I never posted in the forums until now. I've clearly violated some message board etiquette. My bad!

I have rented a car, yes, and I have also already booked my hotel room. I am most interested in sightseeing & taking pictures. I enjoy long drives/road trips. This will be my first time in AZ.

Also want to add that I never travel by myself... Am a bit nervous about that. My employer wasn't wiling to spend the $ to send more than one of us out for the conference. I'm looking for things that I'd be comfortable doing alone, without any major safety concerns. One thing I'm considering is taking a drive on the Apache Trail. I'm not really a fan of dining out by myself but if there are any restaurants that I should check out while I'm in town, please make recommendations.

I want to plan ahead so that I don't end up spending the entire time in my hotel, scared to venture out.

Scottsdale, Arizona
reviews: 50
4. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

cb...

i'm a little confused. will you only be able to venture out after 4 p.m.? it will make quite a difference, if so.

NC
5. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

Day 1 - arrive at PHX at about 3 pm.

Day 2 - optional conference activities begin at 1 pm, and some sort of welcome dinner that evening. I will probably attend the dinner and stick around the hotel that evening. Will decide on the afternoon conference piece once I know the topics.

Day 3 - conference begins in the morning and ends around 3:30-4.

Day 4 - conference begins in the morning and ends around 3:30-4.

Day 5 - conference wrap-up, over at noon.

Day 6 - leave PHX at 6 am.

I have the most free time on days 1, 2, and 5. On days 3 & 4 I am looking for something to do late afternoon/evening in the Chandler area besides drink by myself in the hotel bar.

Phoenix, Arizona
6. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

Do you like to gamble? You can zip over to the res for some action.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 7
7. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

The Apache Trail is a wonderful drive. Go as far as Tortilla Flat, then turn around. You'll pass Canyon Lake and may want to catch a cruise on the Dolly Steamboat if space is available.

Wandering around an IKEA store is always fun. It's in Tempe, close to Chandler.

If you like olives, here's a place to visit: http://queencreekolivemill.com

Phoenix, Arizona
8. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

The IKEA store is not a bad idea. The meals in there are an absolute screaming bargain and they are good.

Also, for something a little crazy, go to Arizona Mills Mall and try out the arcade. They have "video games" there that are actually adult scary rides.If you need to pick up some new clotheres, go to Off 5Th, the Saks discount store. Bargains galore!

Edited: 8:45 pm, March 05, 2012
NC
9. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

Not so interested in gambling, but bargain shopping sounds good! I appreciate the suggestions.

Arizona
Destination Expert
for Scottsdale
reviews: 26
10. Re: 5 days in AZ... What to do?

www.shopchandlerfashioncenter.com is the closest to where you are staying. Cheesecake Factory is one of my favorites, also there is an Apple Store there if you are interested. Wildflower Bread Co will have some sweet treats and breads to tempt you to take back to your hotel.

The Olive Mill in Queen Creek is really enjoyable, a nice locally owned business that always pleases. Goldfield is another good suggestion, a little touristy but then again, you are a tourist :o) so you would most likely enjoy it.

The drive out to Canyon Lake is lovely, a chance to see a real desert lake (although it is a reservoir) but the countryside is beautiful. Get an ice cream at Tortilla Flat or have a burger.

Reply to: 5 days in AZ... What to do?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted