We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Which Chandler hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Singapore, Singapore
reviews: 41
Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Hi all,

I will be staying at chandler for a few months frm May to August due to work. I'm travelling from Singapore.

I would like to check with you guys how's the weather during that period? i heard that i will be freaking hot :(.

Since i will be around for ~3-4 months, can you guys advice me some places of interest that i can visit?

thanks so much

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
1. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Freaking hot is a pretty good description of what to expect. You'll learn how locals deal with it. Be sure to use a solar screen inside your car when you park it during the day. Carry a rag or towel to use to open your car door in the heat of the day. You'll remember after the first time you burn your hand.

ALWAYS CARRY WATER WITH YOU AND DRINK IT CONSTANTLY. You will be naturally dehydrated.

I'll let the locals advise you on places to visit in your leisure hours. But if you have a few days off you'll want to head for the high country to escape the heat and see some of Arizona's best scenery including the Grand Canyon, Flagstaff or Page and of course, Sedona.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona
reviews: 7
2. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Also place a towel over your steering wheel when you park your car in the sun.

In your free time, you could go to Canyon Lake, Saguaro Lake, Chandler Mall, Heard Museum in Phoenix, Diamondback baseball games, just to name a few things.

Do any outdoor activity as early in the mornings as possible.

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 166
3. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

You'll need to apply sunscreen every morning you are in Arizona - not just the days you go swimming. Avoid spending much time outside in the direct sun in the middle of the day until you acclimate to the heat. As previously advised, you should carry a bottle of water with you wherever you go. You'll find that you'll drink more water here than you normally do. Wearing clothing made of natural fibers will be the most comfortable.

There are so many fun things to do, see, visit, participate in etc. in our beautiful state. You'll be here for 3- 4 months so you should be able to see a lot during your free time . You'll basically be here our whole summer during the hottest part.

Could you enlighten us as to what your interests are so that we can recommend some appropriate sights and activities? Do you like outdoor activities, museums, Native American dwellings, national parks, shopping, etc.?

Singapore, Singapore
4. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Hi RedRox, Janss & LovemyAcura,

Thanks so much for your recommendation. Appreciate that! Expecially on the tips to tackle the heat! :) I will get well prepare for the extreme heat. LOL.

Yeah i will have plenty of time since i will be there for ard 3 months. I will go to all the places that recommended since it's within 2-3 hrs from Chandler.

Since this will be my first time to US as an adult (been there once when i was like 12 yrs old), i would like to visit other state as well.

Can you guys share with me which part is a must go place and can i drive there? how long will it take?

i can take a flight if neccesary, just need some help to recommend me website that i can search for cheap tic.

Sedona, AZ
Destination Expert
for Sedona, Arizona, Monument Valley
reviews: 119
5. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

Best places to drive from Chandler inside of AZ within a few hours would include Tucson and southeastern AZ, Sedona, Flagstaff and of course the Grand Canyon NP to the north.

You could fly to Las Vegas and rent a car to see parks in Utah including Bryce and Zion.

How much farther do you want to go? And how much time will you have?

Phoenix
Destination Expert
for Phoenix
reviews: 166
6. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

I think if you concentrate just on Arizona you will have your hands full and an itinerary of things you'll never forget. You need to pick an area of

Arizona and study that one area at a time getting advice as to what the "must sees" are in that area. For example, one weekend go to Tucson and see The Arizona-Sonora Desert Museum

http://www.desertmuseum.org/

There's a lot to see and do there as the Tucson destination experts can describe to you. Then branch out from there exploring all of Arizona's natural beauty and tourist attractions. You are fortunate to have so much time to explore our beautiful state.

On the way down to Tucson you might enjoy visiting the Casa Grande Ruins

and start to learn some of the history of our Native Americans.

In Phoenix the three main tourist attractions would be the Heard Museum downtown Phoenix, the Desert Botanical Gardens, and Taliesin West in Scottsdale. We attract most if not all of the top entertainers to Phoenix for concerts and you can usually find a play or musical playing that would entertain you. If you like country/western music we have Sugarland performing in May at Cricket Wireless Pavillion and Tim McGraw coming to Cricket Pavillion in June. If you prefer classical, you could go hear the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra. In June you could go see In The Heights (a Tony award winning Broadway musical) playing at ASU Gammage (Gammage was designed by Frank Lloyd Wright, a famous architect), So many options! You'll defiitely want to explore the Care Free and Cave Creek

area offering interesting little shops, a variety of restaurants and beautiful scenery (don't miss seeing a sunset out there!). Have fun, bring your camera, and enjoy every minute!

Edited: 2:34 pm, April 13, 2010
Singapore, Singapore
7. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

thanks all. I'm already in chandler and all your information is very useful to me!

8. Re: Visiting chandler for the first time frm Asia

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, December 26, 2010