We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Getting there

Which Wrangell hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Yorkshire
reviews: 3
Getting there

Hi

If we decide to go in on the shuttle, where would the best place to be to park our hire car?

We are going July 2012.

We have read so many reviews on whether to take the car along the McCarthy high road and the fact UK hire companies do not cover gravel roads!!

Thanks

Michael and Jane

4 replies to this topic
Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
1. Re: Getting there

Michael and Jane, you post your question in a wrong forum. The town of Wrangell is the southeast Alaska along Inside Passage accessible only by air or the Alaska ferry. Cruise ship this summer stopped there I think only once a week. You're going to Wrangell-St. Elias National Park where towns(or maybe just small villages) of Kennicott and McCarthy are located. You can park in Chitina where you catch a shuttle. I highly recommend very scenic flight from/ to Kennicott. Views from the air are unforgettable. Northern Lights and/or Toursaver often have coupons for lodging at the Kennicott Lodge BOGO free

McCarthy, Alaska
reviews: 35
2. Re: Getting there

Hello Michael and Jane,

I second the suggestion to take the flight at least one way. You can contact Wrangell Mountain Air for this (www.wrangellmountainair.com) and the flights are three times per day. The McCarthy road isn't that bad, but the flight is worth it regardless!

Let me know if you have any other questions about Wrangell-St. Elias - I would be happy to help.

Best Regards,

Gaia M

St. Elias Alpine Guides

McCarthy, AK

Adirondack, New York
reviews: 88
3. Re: Getting there

If you decide to fly to Kennicott you will be parking at the tiny airport. They used to have a fenced inn parking but 'm not certain if they lock the gate or not. On the way back if you take the shuttle your driver would drop you off almost right at your car. We left our car a couple times for a few days each time and never had any problem. Never heard of anyone having a problem with a car left at the air strip.

McCarthy, Alaska
reviews: 35
4. Re: Getting there

There is no fenced or secure parking at Chitina but we have had no problems with break-ins at all that I am aware of.

Best,

Gaia M

St. Elias Alpine Guides

McCarthy, AK

Reply to: Getting there
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted