We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

Wisconsin
reviews: 7
Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

I've been on the Kenai Fjord Tour several times but have never been on the Whittier Glacier Tours. Has anyone done both and what are the pros and cons of each. We will be showing our son the highlights of Alaska this June and I'm wondering if we could skip the Seward tour and replace it with the Whittier tour or are the two of them totally different? We came into Whittier a few years ago on a Cruise and it was so foggy we couldn't see much. I've been to Whittier enough to know that it rains so much of the time, would that one fact make the Seward tours a better choice?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 94
1. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

I've done both, but the time I did the Seward trip we had engine troubles and only did about 3/4 of their normal run.

I personally like the Whittier trips better. The Seward one (at least the part we did) was all about wildlife. The Whittier one was all about glaciers. I just enjoy the time at the glaciers more. I've been out once with Major Marine and once on a privately booked charter on a small boat to Blackstone Glacier.

Weather at either location can be the luck of the draw.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

I have been on both multiple times and am planning on taking both again in late May. Especially with 2-for-1 coupons, they are both great tours.

Estero, Florida
reviews: 5
3. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

whittier more focused on glaciers, Seward has lot more wildlfe. If I could pick just one, Seward would be my choice as I love wildlife

Cypress, Texas
reviews: 155
4. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

One advantage of booking with the Klondike Express in Whittier is they can go out when all the other boats have to cancel. On the day we went, the wind was blowing 40 knots but the ride was smooth. It's an amazing boat.

http://www.phillipscruises.com/

Fort Worth
reviews: 21
5. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

Please let me know where you get the coupons?

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
6. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

There are some deals on the cruise provider's website and I think many expire today. There are also two coupon books that are available here is a link to that information:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k51571…

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k51122…

7. Re: Compairing Whittier glacier tour to the Seward tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 5:15 am, January 02, 2014