We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Looking for lodging in Valdez

Which Valdez hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
NY
reviews: 1
Looking for lodging in Valdez

We plan on staying in Valdez for 2 nights in August. How nice is this town? What part of town should we stay in? Any particular hotel or B&B you would recommend? We are looking for clean, comfortable, and quiet. I have already seen the reviews here on Tripadvisor. If anyone stayed at any other hotels or B&Bs there please let me know your experience - good or bad. Thanks!

Sarasota, FL
1. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

We had a good experience at the Best Western.

seattle, wa
2. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

Valdez is GORGEOUS. I am there right now. Just the drive intop Valdez is worth it. Mountains, waterfalls....gorgeous. Go for a B n B. The hotels are older but you'll like the B n B's. Do a glacier tour ...Stan Stephens (long one as the columbia glacier is inaccesible due to heavy ice). Great restaurants: Totem for breakfast or good seafood, Ernestos for good mexican, halibut house for good fish n chips and Mike's for pizza. Halibut/Salmon fishing through Fish Central...captain Karl was awesome!!! Great way to spend a day. We saw otters, eagles and more! Have a fun trip!!!

Wasilla, Alaska
3. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

I stayed at the Keystone over the 4th of July. While it was very clean, less expensive than other accomodations ($10-$40 less is all), and provided a nice continental breakfast, the walls are paper thin and rooms are hot and stuffy. If I were to go again, I would spend a few extra bucks and go w/ one of the other hotels or B&B's. Loved Valdez though. Great little town, nice people. CLH 409

Fairbanks, Alaska
reviews: 29
4. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

Del's Bunk and Chow! Stayed there two nights last week very clean, very, very friendly, outstanding breakfast. Her husband runs a fishing charter too so you get the best of both worlds.

Fairbanks, Alaska
5. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

Del's Bunk and Chow! Stayed there two nights last week very clean, very, very friendly, outstanding breakfast. Her husband runs a fishing charter too so you get the best of both worlds.

Fairbanks, Alaska
6. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

Wasilla, Alaska
reviews: 53
7. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

In a way I am glad that Valdez doesn't get the attention that places like Seward and Homer do. This is mainly due to the fact that it takes longer to get there. Good to hear you will be going there and experience this gem without all of the crowds.

I stayed in the RV park so I can't comment on that. What part of town should you stay in? It isn't all that big, and it looked just as nice from one place to the next. It depends on your personal taste.

I agree with the other posters on activities, but I will include a few more. If you can take the kayaking tour out to the glacier, I would recommned it. Also, the whitewater rafting would be a lot of fun. I checked it out last time I was there, but ran out of time, so it is on my list. I was able to see where the rafting was, and could see that the people were having a ball!

If you stop at the visitor center, they will tell you of a few hikes worthwhile. One of those hikes gets up and over the town, and you will see the entire town, harbor, inlet and mountains. Beautiful.

The two museums are really worthwhile and cost $5 for the both. This would be a good place to get your historical information about the 1964 earthquake, the Valdez oil spill, the Al-Can Hwy and the Alaska Pipeline. You can't get into the pipeline terminus due to 911.

If you are driving in, make sure to stop and hike to Worthington Glacier. You don't need a guide to do that. It will take about 15 minutes to walk over and the view is beautiful of the valley and lake to the other side. Prior to that, stop at Thompson Pass at the high point of the mountains. Get out, and hike to that rock outcropping for a beautiful view and pictures. The alpine meadows up there are fantastic.

We are looking forward to our return at the end of the month. We really enjoyed Valdez and hope you will also.

Anchorage, Alaska
8. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

Don't know whether you've gone or not but stay away from keystone hotel. Here was my reveiw and experience with the place on Aug 13,2006.

After trying to find a place to stay we ended up at keystone hotel, they told us that night that we could pay the next day and the price was $95.00 + $10.00 for the extra person. We then proceded to our room, which turned out to be about the size of an average office cubical. Sufficite to say the room was very small and cramped. Later that night as more guests arrived we discoverd that the walls must have been no thicker than 1/4 inch. Everything anyone said within a ten room radius could be clearly heard as if they were talking to you. Also on one side of the wall there was a huge crack that a good amount of the next doors light shown through. We later found out that the place wasn't origanaly a hotel and that it was really a building quickly thrown up to act as office cubicals for the people working on cleaning up the Exxon Valdez oil spill in the 1980s. They then turned the small cubicals into rooms after Exxon left. Furthermore the next day as we are checking out to get away from the place as quick as possible they overcharged us by $30. We told the guy the price we were qouted but he told us we were wrong and over charged us anyway. We are now in battles with the company for ripping us off, because on their very own website it bluntly states that the price is $95 a night with a $10 add-on for one extra person. Either way we will never return to such a terribble place.

Wasilla, Alaska
reviews: 53
9. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

If you are just looking for a normal hotel then the Aspen is your choice. Very clean and comfortable.

Fairbanks, Alaska
10. Re: Looking for lodging in Valdez

I have never heard anything good about Keystone so I stayed away from it.