We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Which Marsa Alam hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 3
Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Hi,

I'm looking to get some opinions to help me make a decision.

My wife and I are looking to book a late getaway to Marsa Alam for a fortnight over Xmas & New Year.

We're both PADI AOW divers and are looking for a good hotel with good house reef diving available on-site (or very near). When we're not diving we'd like a nice comfortable hotel where we can just chill and unwind at poolside.

We've never been to the Red Sea, let alone Marsa Alam before so it's all very new to us. I've read so much about so many different hotels and so many pros and cons, my head is just spinning now!

I think we've narrowed it down to either the Hilton Nubian or Concorde Moreen. The Hilton strikes me as the nicer hotel (many reviews suggest the Moreen is very much still being built) but it sounds like the Moreen may be more convenient for diving. I know both have dive operations on site, but the house reef sounds like it is more easily accessible from the Concorde Moreen.

I am a little concerned too about sea conditions and whether late December/early January is a time when we might see boats confined to harbour or simply not able to get into the sea. Is this a realistic danger in this area?

Finally (I know - I have so many Qs) would a 5/4 wetsuit be suitable - I'm led to believe we can expect 23-24*c. Is that about right?

Thanks for any info/advice anyone can offer to help us make up our minds!

Kent
Destination Expert
for Egypt
1. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

daz, I suggest you give Luke from Emperor divers a PM, or Email. Emperor now offer unlimited diving on their house reef. Also they have options for Elphinstone if you want.

suffolk
reviews: 5
2. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Just to add , the Moreen isn't on Abu Dabbab although some internet info says it is . It's on the next bay North I believe .

Not too far though .

Hilton and sol y mar Abu Dabbab are on the bay with the Hilton I think across the road from the bay itself . Sol y mar on the Southern side directly on the bay .

Will see tomorrow :-) haven't been back to Abu Dabbab since the Hilton was built .

Andy

United Kingdom
reviews: 39
3. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Hi Daz

We've stayed at The Hilton twice but both were October visits so couldn't comment on the water temperature over New Year. I posted reviews both times which explains the differences we found in our diving on each occasion. We have no experience diving from the Maureen hotel but were blown away in October with both our snorkelling and diving experiences while staying at The Hilton.

If you stay at the Hilton, you will definitely see turtles while snorkelling in the centre of the bay. The Dugong is more a matter of luck. We saw it while diving in the bay further south but any snorkellers would also have seen him as he was in about 5m depth.

Although it's a bit of a walk from the hotel to the reef, it really is worth it. There are 3 reefs to choose. Left of entrance and a good 10 - 15 minute swim away will bring you in front of The Hilton which is fantastic. Or, walk further down beach to snorkel the North reef in front of the Sol Y Mar, you see marine life straight away. Thirdly, go straight out to sea from the MAIN Ocean Diving centre for about 5 minutes in the middle of the bay and you will see all the turtles and guitar sharks!

Hope this helps. Have a fab time.

Cheers

PB

Brighton, United...
Destination Expert
for Marsa Alam
reviews: 12
4. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

As a diver I like Abu dabab for one maybe two dives so wouldn't pick a hotel just for that. IMO the bay suffers from over population at least 3 hotels plus snorkelers on day trips unless u do outside.

I would suggest Concorde which gives u the option to visit but also has its own house reef - dived it before hotel built n there are some good videos from it on you tube

January water was approx 20c did get out on ribs n boats but that area can have windy conditions so it is a risk but their are plenty of shore options .

Marsa Alam, Egypt
reviews: 9
5. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Hi Daz, it's Luke from Emperor Divers Marsa Alam . You have a lot of options and some sage advice from the above posters - if you need to fire any questions to me at all please do so either here or by private message and I'll be happy to help.

We're currently having a mild winter, with less than average winds and higher than average temperatures (still 25-26oC in the sea - I'm still in my shorts!) but you can never tell what will happen. We could experience some strong winds and see that temperature drop, or it could stay warm and calm for most of the winter. In general, we've had a good year and haven't had to keep the boats in for a single day since February so we can hope that continues. I woke up today to a thousand facebook statuses showing snow in UK - brrrr.

Andy I've just been forwarded your email from one of the team - I'll reply now I hope you pick it up.

Best regards,

Luke.

suffolk
6. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Cheers Luke ,

just got it at Gatwick now waiting . Snow did its best to stop me again blizzards all down the first half of journey .

Andy

suffolk
7. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Cheers Luke ,

just got it at gatwick now ,snow did its best to stop me again . Blizzards most of the way here .

Andy

8. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Thanks to everyone for your advice. We've bitten the bullet and booked at the Hilton. It looks like a stunning hotel while the reviews of the Concorde Moreen Resort just made me too apprehensive to commit to two weeks there.

Luke - we would ideally liked to have done all our diving with Emperor - your reputation is excellent and the reviews on here are better than any advertising campaign. However, for convenience I think we'll be doing much of our diving with Diving Ocean. We'd certainly like to do some diving with you guys though, so will drop you a PM later to sort something out. We're planning on taking some 5/4 wetsuits with us - are they going to be suitable? Our recent experience is of diving either significantly warmer or colder than the 23/24* I'm led to believe we can expect.

Does anyone have any recommendations for transfer from Hurghada to MA? Or would I be best contacting the Hilton to recommend/arrange something?

Now it's booked, I'm getting proper excited about it :-)

Haikou, China
reviews: 31
9. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

We look forward to welcoming you to the Hilton Marsa Alam Nubian Resort, where I know you will have a great time

Regards

Martin Rogers

General Manager

Kent, England
reviews: 42
10. Re: Best hotel for diving in Abu Dabbab Bay.

Have a great time daz! Look forward to hearing your thoughts on the hotel and the diving!

Jody