We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Which Dalyan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 8
The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Hi Guys

Last year was our first holiday in Dalyan, needless to say my partner and I were smitten and have booked two holidays this year in June and September.

In preparation for last year we used this brilliant forum to research all manner of things, including the subject of mozzies. I seem to be particularly susceptible, I even get bitten in my own garden here in Hertfordshire but I detest walking around covered in oil, therefore I was interested in a comment on the forum last year regarding electronic repellers.

Further internet research uncovered a unit with glowing reports on a well-known ‘jungle’ retail site so I bought one for testing. It is solar powered costing around £4 – 8 depending on who is selling them, if you put ‘Solar Powered Sonic Mosquito Insect Repeller with Compass’ into the site search they will come up.

The science behind them is that the mosquitoes that bite, (they actually don’t bite, they puncture), are pregnant females. The electronic repellers emit the sound of a male mosquito, which is apparently a big no, no for the females, therefore they stay away

We also discovered that we needed protection day and night, particularly if we were near the river. We made the mistake of only taking two each, one being used whilst one was charging through the day, we discovered that the battery life wouldn’t stretch to day and night, i.e. the one from the night before wouldn’t last the next day and the one from the day before wasn’t yet charged (needs sunlight). That one day at the end of the holiday was the only time I got bitten during the whole stay.

This year we have it licked! The ones from last year still work OK and they have been supplemented with new additions so that our new cycle requires three units each, one being used during the day whilst two are being charged, one of those is then used in the evening and the next day there is the freshly charged third unit to begin the cycle again.

Wonderful – No oil, no anti-histamines, no bites! See you next in Dalyan – just listen for the high pitched hum – that’ll be us!

20 replies to this topic
Rustington, United...
reviews: 6
11. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

according to the reviews on amazon it doesn't work over night?

reviews: 8
12. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Hi Peakt

They will only work overnight if they are charged in sunlight (not direct) during the day, hence my cycle involving 3-units

Slough, United...
reviews: 15
13. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

I've been using these for a few years having bought them on a BA flight to Istanbul. They work well - the only bites being when I've forgotten to take one out in the evening. They do work at night providing they're fully charged.

Chester, United...
reviews: 35
14. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Thank goodness I saw this and decided to buy some,as I went to find my card to pay it was missing.Luckily I was able to cancel card.Still managed to buy two though.

Liverpool, United...
reviews: 13
15. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Look in the other half's jacket! ;)

Chester, United...
16. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Ha ha,think that's where he keeps the mouse trap.:-)

Liverpool, United...
17. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Ha ha. x x Tripadvisor would not let me give you two big kisses. You have been edited down to two lower case kisses. :)

Durham, United...
reviews: 2
18. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

Just looked on ebay and they are £3.95 with postage so i think i may buy a couple and see how i get on

Chester, United...
19. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

With all the deleted posts on here I,ll settle for two small ones...oops

Liverpool, United...
20. Re: The Electronic Solution and it Works!

x x :)

Reply to: The Electronic Solution and it Works!
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted