We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tourists please don't litter!!

Which Sapa hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Plymouth, United...
reviews: 46
Tourists please don't litter!!

Just spent a few wonderful days in Sapa, lovely town, scenery so beautiful loved it. However the saddest part was all the litter everywhere, of which I think is mostly due from tourists.

On the first day I joined a small group of really lovely travellers to go round 3 villages we were all independent and we clicked together, and enjoyed our day. I was stunned when I saw one lady just throw her trash onto the group. My face must of shown this as she said to me 'i don't want to do it but no choice' ????!!!, I was too stunned to say anything regrettably!! Later I saw another group do exactly the same.

We all had bags and would return to hotels afterwards (a 3 hour trip total) why they could nt h hold onto it till then astounds me, so I beg of all tourists please don't add to this. Yes there is no bins but that does nt mean the countryside is a bin!!

London
reviews: 7
21. Re: Tourists please don't litter!!

I don't believe the government should encourage people to not litter because of tourism. If there's no wish in government or the people to stop littering for other reasons, let them drown in their own garbage.

Having no bins is no excuse either. If they place their garbage neatly wrapped outside their house or curbside every day, the street cleaners will take it away. Most houses are spotless inside, but the Vietnamese do not care if they litter on common grounds.

It is not our place as tourists to tell them not to litter. If they don't stop the habit voluntarily, jot it down to culture. I sure wish Confucius had advocated against a few things, littering being one of them :-)

Ho Chi Minh City...
22. Re: Tourists please don't litter!!

Being a Vietnamese, we feel very upset and ashamed about that bad habit. But I am sure those people are "A worm that spoils the whole apple:. As a tourist, especially foreign tourists, please don't add anything to their bad habit but show them your civilized action of not throwing litter in street.

"Please leave nothing behind but footprints and kill nothing but time when travelling". We love that saying and would be appreciated your cooperation. Thank you.

Ba Ria-Vung Tau...
reviews: 2
23. Re: Tourists please don't litter!!

litter creates employment in Vietnam not as grubby as Cambodia .every day the girls clean up my street picking up leave ect

only country i know with 7 day garbage collection

24. Re: Tourists please don't litter!!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, December 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Sapa