We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

Which Kodiak Island hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harlingen,TX
reviews: 16
How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

If we want to spend a few days on Kodiak Island, we're looking at flying on a major airline, such as Alaska Air. Do their flights usually run on the days scheduled? I've been told that the charter airlines frequently encounter weather delays so plans are delayed until the next day or so. How often might this happen with a major airline like this?

13 replies to this topic
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

The Alaska Air flights can be delayed, but not usually for days - for hours. I have flown there twice round trip in July/August and had no delays at all with 3 of 4 flights and a minimum delay of the 4th flight.

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
2. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

Alaska Airlines is quite reliable; as stated any delays will be brief. Depends a lot on time of year - when would this be?

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 80
3. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

Alaska Air & it's partner Era are the only airlines that fly to Kodiak. And then there are charter companies that fly out of Kodiak to the surrounding communities or do bear & fishing tours. Andrew's Airways or Seahawk Air are both good outfits.

Weather delays are possible. I lived on Afognak Island, just north of Kodiak Island for about 6 years. I can certainly remember times not being able to fly in/out of Kodiak due to weather. When I was 16 time I was coming home from a month long trip to Peru and got as far as Anchorage and Kodiak was fogged in. I spent 3 days in the Anchorage airport waiting for it to clear up. Another time is when my grandfather passed away in Oregon. We had been socked in for days, but when Dean Andrews with Andrew's Airways heard what had happen, he vowed to get us out. Normally it's a 15 minute flight, but it took over an hour each way, flying just off the water. We landed at Anton Larson Bay and went over the road to Kodiak. The jet didn't fly that night to Anchorage and most of the next day was socked in. It was at the end of the day when there was an opening and a flight was able to get in.

The logging company we worked for shut down for week at the 4th of July, and most of the guys would fly home (to the lower 48). I remember one year the first two days of the break we were fogged in and a lot people were upset to lose some of what little time they were going to get to be home.

So here's my rule for Alaska: Hope for the best, plan for the worse (have a plan B) and enjoy it either way!

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 5
4. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

I like AKStafford's answer. You can do two or three things after you make your reservations. One is to check the weather carefully before you fly down and make last minute adjustments as necessary. Have your Plan B in your pocket, and be ready to use it. Plan B for me would be having a two or three day cushion on the return side of things. You may come up with a better plan.

Best of all, perhaps choose your travel time carefully, with the best odds of good weather in your favor. This is in the references in the upper right corner that are often referred to, but you deserve personal attention, I believe. I certainly do want you to go down and have a good experience!

I posted this in 2010:

For the statistical odds of rain, shine or temperature or wind, or even if you want to know how much the temperature changes from daytime to night time,,

Go to www.wunderground.com

and look for "Travel & Activities" in the top menu bar. Rest your cursor on it and choose "Trip Planner", then enter the dates and place of interest. At the bottom of the page of statistics that appears will be several graphs showing the changes during the 24 hour day.

RATS. They changed their web page! Go for "Local Weather, Historical Data", then at the bottom of the page and type in one of your possible dates. When the next page comes up you can call up the Weekly and Monthly data to see when your best chances are for the least fog, wind and rain.

Good luck, and don't let then potential weather scare you off!

Harlingen,TX
reviews: 16
5. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

Thanks everyone! This would be in June. More or less likely for delays?

Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 58
6. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

About a year ago Grant Aviation began service to Kodiak from Homer. I have not followed this so don't know how it is working out. Only other option is the ferry, but not the Tustumena as she is still out of service

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 129
7. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

I find June to be one of our most stable weather months (warm, dry, etc.).

I guess that just ruined it though for the future!!

Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
8. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

I like Kodiak, but can I go just a bit off-topic and ask what your interests there might be?

My reason for asking is that Kodiak is one of many bush destinations in Alaska that one can reach easily by air. Getting "off the road system" should be one of the things visitors to Alaska should be compelled to do (if I were emperor - not gonna happen.) Kodiak is great, but like many rural towns in Alaska it can be maddeningly close to wondrous things, but actually covering the last few (dozen) miles can be very complicated and/or expensive. Not saying it's a bad idea, not at all, but just wanted to mention some alternatives.

For example, for much less expense in the air, in June you can fly (also on Alaska Airlines) from Anchorage to Kotzebue, an Eskimo village above the arctic circle. See the actual "midnight sun," put a toe in the Arctic Ocean, learn about an interesting culture and way of life... fascinating place.

Or head to Nome, a historic mining town on the Bering Sea. Also cheaper airfare than Kodiak. (Or you can do both Nome and Kotzebue on one outing - Alaska Airlines stops in both towns on the same flights to/from Anchorage.)

Just saying, there are lots of interesting options once you're open to the idea of flying someplace.

Pecatonica, Illinois
reviews: 219
9. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

We had not been to Kodiak Island before going this month. We were there for a few days and hoped we could get out bear viewing on one of those days. We did, and it was one of the best things we did on the trip. It did rain most of two days that we were there, but we were prepared. We flew on Alaskan with no problem wither day, but we just cushioned that so that a going a day later or coming back a day earlier would not be a problem. We enjoyed driving the very scenic roads, Abercrombie State Park, and exploring the whole island. If you are impatient or have a schedule that has to be met, this may be a problem, but it is a beautiful rugged place.

Wasilla, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 80
10. Re: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island

"About a year ago Grant Aviation began service to Kodiak from Homer. I have not followed this so don't know how it is working out. "

It's not going well: alaskapublic.org/2013/…

Basically Grant pulled out of the Homer airport and the city is suing them for $20,000 in unpaid rent.

Reply to: How reliable are the flights from Anchorage to Kodiak Island
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Kodiak Island