We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

Which Ketchikan hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sw, Florida
reviews: 1
Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

My husband and I will be in Ketchikan on Sept 10 and are looking at booking the Alaska Coastal Expedition through Princess Cruise. On this excursion you "skipper" your own AMI inflatable boat. You go to the Saxman Native Village, ride past the Nichols Passage to look for whales, then to Mountain Point for a view of the falls, finally to George Inlet and Gem Cove to stop at beach for drink and snacks. I was wondering if this sounds like we would get to see a lot and if they have heard good things about the excursion. Or if there is anyone that has gone on this excursion and if so how they liked it. Any other ideas for Ketchikan would be appreciated. This is our first trip to Alaska and we are REALLY excited!!

Ukiah, California
reviews: 6
1. Re: Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

I think it would be not very fun on a windy, rainy day. The weather usually takes a turn for the worse as September arrives, so you might want to think about checking the weather forecast before you book it. Also, I think it's a stretch to say "you go to Saxman" as you just kind of stop along the shoreline and see the totems from a distance. But I think the trip would be pretty fun on a nice day.

Sw, Florida
reviews: 1
2. Re: Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

Thanks Rainbirdbrain I really appreciate the reply. Any suggestions on what we should do?

Ukiah, California
reviews: 6
3. Re: Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

There's certainly lots of good choices. I like Back Country Jet Boats a lot, you get to go to some pretty remote areas, and usually see a lot of wildlife. Rainforest Island Adventure is part boat ride, part hike on Betton Island, but that's another one that wouldn't be much fun on a rainy, windy day. The kayak tours, Eagle Island and Tatoosh, are nice and you'd only get wet from the waist up if it were raining. The snorkel tour is also fun, and it wouldn't matter if it were raining. They try to get you to book your tours early, but it's rare that anything sells out, you should be able to look at the forecast and make a decision the night before. I would say the only ones that sell out often are the First City Deluxe, and the Rainforest Canopy, as they both have smaller limits.

Nashville, Tennessee
4. Re: Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

My family and I took the Alaska Coastal Expedition this year, and we thought that it was the most amazing experience that we had during our time in Alaska. Our guide, Nick DID stop at Saxman. Of course, he only got us as close as we could in a boat. When we booked the tour, we didn't expect to drive the boats and actually go into the city of Saxman, haha. We got plenty of narrative about the totems and about the residents of Saxman.

The idea of driving your own boat was really cool. In my opinion, anyone can ride in a bus. If I wanted to experience alaska through a bus window, I would just stay home and watch the Discovery Channel.

As far as booking in advance, it's actually a good idea, despite what Rainbird says. Booking onboard you ship guarantees that you won't be left behind in port. For us, that that gave us a big piece of mind. And yes, some tours were sold out two days before our days in port.

5. Re: Alaska Coastal Expedition - Princess Cruises

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, January 11, 2010