We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

4-5 Days in Kenai

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Ohio
reviews: 14
4-5 Days in Kenai

Four of us (two "active" 50ish couples) will be in Alaska in Jun 07 following a 7 day cruise. We will spend 2 days in the Denali area then want to drive to the Kenai Peninsula and would appreciate any recommendations on "must see/do" activities in that area.

We will have a rental car and leave the Denali area on Wed and have a flight out of Anchorage on Sun evening (9PM). We are interested in "non-touristy" activities that would allow us to enjoy the scenery, wildlife, etc that Alaska has to offer. We wouldn't mind doing some hiking but nothing extreme. We are considering driving from Denali to Girdwood for Wed nite, then to Homer for Thurs and Fri nites but we are not firm on either of these locations. We need to stay somewhere Sat nite that will not require a full day of driving to Anchorage on Sun. We were thinking about a boat trip out of Whittier or Seward but we aren't sure how to work that in.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Southern Outerbanks...
reviews: 26
1. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

Number 1 - Take a bear viewing flight out of Homer. Either Emerald Air or Bald Mountain Air. Unfortunately, you might already be too late to get a reservation...but keeping checking back...people cancel.

See a video of our flight last August at:

…webshots.com/video/3070348030099960379

I have other Alaska videos and photos at my channel, clay2young at Webshots.com

community.webshots.com/user/clay2young…

Number 2 - Take a Kenai Fjords cruise out of Seward. The small boat cruises are great if the weather and seas are good, otherwise the bigger boats work best.

Number 3 - Take a mild whitewater raft trip on the Kenai River. We went with:

alaskarivertrips.com/kenai-canyon-raft-trip.…

Hike along the Russian River.

Number 4 - Hike(walk) at least to the base of Exit Glacier, do it early in the morning...best light and most wildlife.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
reviews: 35
2. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

Hi there! Echobird covered many of your questions . . . I would probably head to Homer first, and then work my way back, either staying in Seward or even Girdwood to be closer to Anchorage for your last day. The boat tour in Seward is not to be missed as well as a stop at the Sea Life center. I think the Kenai is great for just driving around and exploring - many little towns with great ocean views like Ninilchik . . . Homer has much to do as well as a new ocean center I have yet to visit - maybe this coming summer.

Make sure you take the shuttle bus tour while you are in Denali and good luck with the rest of your planning! :)

New England
3. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

I would stay in Girdwood an additional night - there is more to see there than just a day allows.

While there, it is easy to work in a Prince William Sound glacier cruise. There are several operators there - we have gone out in the past with Prince William Sound Cruises and Tours, and were very happy with their product. Their free lunch was a really nice halibut plate!

Hope this helps, have fun!

on the lake...
reviews: 33
4. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

definitely Homer and Seward. And as the previous poster suggested, do the bear viewing trip with Emerald Air out of Homer. INCREDIBLE! You can check out my full trip report for photos and details of our Kenai Peninsula trip last June...

www.shellistravel.com/TravelogueViewer.aspx…

zahala
5. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

Dear Kudo

would you help me in finding the web site of emerald ?

thanks

Daphna

galdug@bezeqint.net

on the lake...
6. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

http://www.emeraldairservice.com/index.html

zahala
7. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

thanks any more tips?

I just love the polar bears and especially the mother and cubs and would like to arrnage a really specail once in a lifetime trip, not sure yet which place is better Canada or Alaska.

will be happy to learn from your expereince

on the lake...
8. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

for polar bears, you'd want to go to Churchill, Canada. We're hoping to get there in the next year or two!

South Bend, IN
reviews: 1
9. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

From one 50ish couple to another--hike the Russian River Trail--not much elevation gain--beautiful scenery--if you go through Soldotna--stop at the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge headquarters and take the short walk down to Headquarters Lake--it's no more than a 10 or 15 minutes walk--you will not be disappointed--well marked trail and well worth the time. Be careful of the other trails--Alaskan's ideas of "moderate" and yours are probably a little different.

10. Re: 4-5 Days in Kenai

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 am, August 23, 2009