We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to do canoe daytrip or halfday in Kenai/Cooper L. area

Which Kenai hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Eastern Connecticut
reviews: 56
Where to do canoe daytrip or halfday in Kenai/Cooper L. area

We would like to rent a canoe and spend some time paddling and fishing on a lake next June during our time in the Kenai Peninsula. We will be in the area around the 26th of the month and are not particular about what type of fish as this will be a recreational catch and release outing.

From some research, it appears that Kenai Wildlife Refuge is the place to go. Is it feasible to do a portion of the Swan Lake Canoe route (roundtrip) in 4 or 5 hours or is there a better alternative? Swan Lake sounds appealing from the reports I've read about gorgeous scenery and lots of wildlife sightings. From the maps I've seen I'm not able to determine how far we are likely to get or how many portages we will encounter or from which entrance we should put in - any ideas?

If this plan works out, where should we look for lodging for one night? (we will not have camping equipment)

While we are in the area we also plan to hike to Russian River Falls. Will there be any salmon running at that time? If so, will it be difficult to find lodging due to the combat fishing?

Lots of questions I know, but I haven't seen much in the forums on this topic. Thanks for any advice/suggestions!

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
1. Re: Where to do canoe daytrip or halfday in Kenai/Cooper L. area

Yes, the first red salmon run on the Russian River historically starts around the summer solstice.

2. Re: Where to do canoe daytrip or halfday in Kenai/Cooper L. area

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:16 am, March 22, 2010