We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
reviews: 111
Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

Hi!

We will be cruising the Grand Princess end of July to Alaska and Juneau is our first port. Arrival time is 1 pm and departing at 9 pm.

Would love to obtain a tour guide for West Glacier Trail/Ice Caves if we can get back to the ship on time. Does anyone know of a good tour guide? Cost? We have about 12- 20 people who would like to do this.

Many thanks!

North Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Juneau, Coos Bay, North Bend
1. Re: Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

The Mendenhall glacier rec area is a Federal park, so any tour operator would have to be commissioned by the park service. To the best of my knowledge, no such commissions exist.

Add to that, the ice caves aren't exactly stable and can be full of water or ice at most any time. I've watched them collapse in the middle of summer and full of ice and water in the dead of winter.

Perhaps a call to the visitors center during business hours would clear up the mystery of the ice caves for you...?

Happy Alaska Travels!

- Case

reviews: 111
2. Re: Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

Thanks!!!

Chicago
reviews: 115
3. Re: Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

We did Above and Beyond's guided hike to the glacier and went into an ice great. That trip, however, took all day and involved a medium difficulty hike to several miles to and from the glacier. I doubt it's appropriate for a large group, or that that it would work on that time frame, but you could contact Above and Beyond. It was pretty magical eating lunch underneath the glacier looking at the blue ice.

Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 140
4. Re: Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

The Mendenhall Glacier area is NOT a national park - it is part of the Tongass National Forest, administered by the USDA, not the Department of the Interior (Park Service).

That being said, summer is not the best time to see ice caves for the reasons mentioned above. There are plenty of nice hikes on both the east and west sides of the glacier, but you will have to hike quite a ways to actually set foot on ice.

The Glacier Bus runs frequently from the docks to the visitor's center (I think it's like $7 per person each way, but I might be wrong there.)

5. Re: Mendenhall glacier and ice cave-- need tour guide

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:17 am, June 13, 2014