We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Berkeley, California
reviews: 4
Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

Will it be possible to go to the Tracy Arm between April 3 and April 13 of 2013? Do any of the three (or more?) tour operators go there this early? If not, is it possible to get a small charter (for as few as 2 or as many as 4 people) to go there at that time?

North Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Juneau, Coos Bay, North Bend
1. Re: Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

The usual Tracy Arm operators don't run that time of year unless there's a cruise ship in port. I haven't checked the ship calendar, but I doubt the first half of April will have much available.

That said, start calling the small charter boats. Back when I used to run trips, I was the only Juneau-based charter that stayed operational year-round. (I was also the only Juneau-based game transporter who could get hunters in and out of their camps by boat.) Times may have changed, however, so you'll just have to call around. TALK DIRECTLY TO THE BOAT CAPTAINS, and DO NOT bother with any of the brokers - they wont even know what boats theyre running in early April. If the first captain you speak with cant or won't accommodate you, ask for referrals to someone who can.

Happy Alaska Travels!

- Case

Berkeley, California
2. Re: Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

Thanks, Case. I guess I'm screwed. I can't afford to hire a boat for all day for one or two people. :-( Also, how can you tell from the websites which are captains and which are brokers?

North Bend, Oregon
Destination Expert
for Juneau, Coos Bay, North Bend
3. Re: Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

Give Capt. Kevin a call at Lost In Alaska Adventures. Even if he's not ready to put his boat in the water that early, he would know if anyone else in town is. The cost might not be as bad as you imagine. I know I always gave great early-season rates (often just break-even on fuel) that time of year since I'd been stuck on land all winter and was always looking for an excuse to go adventuring.

As for the brokers, just ask if you're speaking to the actual captain you'll be going out with. A captain is always happy to talk to you about their boat and crew, whereas a broker will have a selection of boats and will decide what boat to "put you on"... Also, if at any point you realize you're dealing with Juneau Sportfishing or Alaska Galore (like who's billing your credit card) then you're dealing through a broker.

- Case

Berkeley, California
4. Re: Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

Thanks, Case. You're a jewel!

5. Re: Tracy Arm first half of April 2013

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 24, 2014