We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Portland, Oregon
Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

My husband would like to try different game meats in the form burgers and steak.

Is there a restaurant in Juneau serve them?

Thank you.

Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 1
11. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Hi, Scott-

If you try several different types of salmon while you're here, you'll find that how it is cooked matters almost as much as what species it is. I've had some godawful king salmon, and some quite nice pink salmon.

The types you're most likely to run across in a store or restaurant are king/Chinook (usually very rich, considered by many the best), sockeye/red (as Mombear said, also considered by many the best), and coho/silver (a bit drier than the other two, but very worthy fish). By the way, the local lingo preferences for these three species are king, sockeye, and coho, but that varies depending on where you are in Alaska.

And of course halibut is spectacular when cooked well. Don't forget our excellent shrimp. And if you get a chance to try black cod (sablefish), by all means do so. It is outstanding--very rich, tender... mmm!

And Karrie, I'd second Mombear's advice and skip the lobster (it's flown in from thousands of miles away) in favor of fresh Dungeness or king crab. Look sharp when you're in town; you can sometimes buy it fresh off the boats, and a couple of places in Auke Bay (DeHarts and the Hot Bite) have live tanks where you can buy one. If you don't know how to clean and prep a live crab, ask the seller to explain. There are cleaning tables on the nearby docks that you can try your skills at.

Chugiak, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage, Alaska
reviews: 10
12. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Also, I'm betting you find the salmon species mentioned here to all be much tastier than Atlantic salmon. I had some while in Ireland last Summer and had a tough time not spitting it out. I could only manage two bites to be polite. Pacific salmon is just completely different and much better, in my opinion.

Personally, if possible, I'd start with silver, then try red then Kings. That's less oily to more of the top three and often the amount of oil in the flesh is what people either like or dislike.

Edited: 9:18 pm, April 13, 2012
Sydney, Australia
13. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Thank you Mum Bear

Scott

Southaven...
reviews: 3
14. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Hi my husband has bought meats and seafoods from Jerry's Meat Market. I don't know where he got other game meats at except the ones he got hunting.

I highly recommend trying the Deer Sausage. It's great!!

Garrison, MT
15. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

You can buy elk meat at http://www.montanaelk.com/.

Edited: 10:27 am, April 15, 2012
Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 10
16. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

The elk and buffalo available at Super Bear in the Mendenhall Mall is imported from the lower 48. Every grocery here sells reindeer sausage, made from domesticated Alaska reindeer.

It's not legal to sell Alaskan game meat. It you want Alaskan venison or moose, you need to make some Alaskan friends or pay mucho for a non-resident hunting license.

Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 140
17. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Actually, you can get game meat in a restaurant here in Juneau if you want. The Sand Piper downtown offers burgers made with a variety of types of game from boar to buffalo to elk. It's not too far a walk from any of the cruise ship terminals, and their food really is quite good.

Paxson, Alaska
18. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

Both posters 16 & 17 (Cabbie & Nome-ad) are correct, as they see it. It is illegal to sell - OR TRADE IN ANY FASHION!!! - flesh or fish from Alaska's wilds. That is what Cabbie meant by his term "game". NomeMan is correct that such fare as boar, buffalo, elk are available for legal sale...but if and only if such products were farm-raised. Or, I suppose, legally brought in from outside Alaska - perhaps if it is legal to sell something in Canada one might be able to import and sell it legally here, but that is splitting hasenpfeffers - ha ha.

Note my "Trade" emphasis. The authorities take just as grim an attitude toward those who give away moose or salmon or caribou, etc., in kind or by any other means, as they do those who exchange it for currency. Please do not abet such behavior!

19. Re: Where to find game meat? Moose,Bison,Caribou,Elk,Yak,Deer...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 2:18 pm, June 19, 2013