We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

August 2012 trip

Which Juneau hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tulsa, OK
August 2012 trip

I am starting to make reservations for our Alaska trip planned for Aug 18-Sept 2 2012. We are flying from Seattle into Juneau and out of Anchorage.

My first question is: Is Alaska Airlines the only choice for flying into Juneau. They are the only ones showing up when I search Kayak,

Expedia etc. Second question is how fluid are their airfares? Given the lack of competition, do they ever run sales, other than the PDF which we will be too late to take advantage of? I haven't seen any movement in their fares over the time period I've been watching

Thanks for any insight you can offer.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
1. Re: August 2012 trip

Yes, Alaska Airlines is the only one who flies into/out of SE Alaska....

.....to get their best rate pull up their fare calendar for a one week period.....sometimes the fares are lower on certain days of the week........

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
2. Re: August 2012 trip

I noticed the same thing when I was planning our trip for later this year. Occasionally Alaska Airlines will offer modest fare sales on select routes, but they don't appear to do nearly the level of discounting that other airlines do (other than the PFD sale, as you noted).

What we did to reduce our airfare costs is apply for an Alaska Airlines Rewards credit card (through Bank of America) to take advantage of the $99 companion fare that they offer. This was pretty easy since we are already BofA customers - I just had them transfer an existing credit line (that I was planning to close anyway) to the new card. That probably reduced our overall airfare by $1500 (flying from Seattle as you are, but visiting Fairbanks as well).

The only catch on the companion fare is that it requires round-trip travel that starts and ends in the same place. They will count a multi-stop trip as a single flight provided the individual hops are continuous (i.e. SEA -> JNU -> ANC -> SEA is OK, but SEA -> JNU and then ANC -> SEA is not).

I learned about the Rewards Card from TA (many thanks to whomever mentioned it!) and definitely thought it was worth the hassle to get. Alaska Air also flies to Hawaii from Southern Cal, so we figure we can use the card to rack up some miles for an almost-free flight to Hawaii one these days.

Maybe that would work for you as well.

-JimG

Tulsa, OK
3. Re: August 2012 trip

Thanks for the suggestions.

Mombear The scedule doesn't currently show any differences in fare by day. Also, maximizing my time on the ground is going to trump price. I'm just wanting the best price available for the schedule I want and wasn't sure of the likelyhood of seeing any sale prices.

Jim Also a good suggestion except I have already used that trick to get to Seattle in the first place. We're actually flying from Tulsa, but by using Southwest's reward card I can get to Seattle for free and cut about $500 off the cost and actually arrive in the morning instead of after a 12 hour flight.

I'll probably just go ahead and book it now so I can move along with the rest of the plans.

Atlanta, Georgia
reviews: 12
4. Re: August 2012 trip

GullBayGirl, I totally get it - we actually used Delta Skymiles on the ATL -> SEA leg of our trip and I booked that way back in May to make sure I got the flights I wanted. I held off on booking the Alaska Air part to take advantage of the PFD sale and make sure I had the Rewards Card in place for the Companion Fare. It was a bit of a hassle, but definitely worth it for the money we saved.

-JimG

Juneau, Alaska
5. Re: August 2012 trip

Alaska Air has quite the hold over us Juneau-ites :). As a local travel agent, I deal with this often! The best way to stay on top of sale fares is to subscribe to their email newsletter, they have weekly sale fares and occasionally a system-wide sale....generally after PFD's, there will be one more winter sale before the year is out.....

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
6. Re: August 2012 trip

Maybe because we never fly out during the summer season, but I usually find lower fares on Alaska Airlines on Tues or Wednesdays, instead of weekends......

Welcome to TripAdvisor Taku.........we need well informed participants and all help is appreciated......

Hobart, Australia
7. Re: August 2012 trip

am also researching a trip to S E Alaska, as part of a 2 month trip to B. C., Washington State, Oregon, and Alaska. my research shows flying in and around Alaska to be amazingly dear. we intend to travel up to Juneau from Bellingham by A M H S ferry, and then principally use the ferry service to visit a number of coastal destinations. we intend to come back down to Prince Rupert, at the northern coastal edge of B. C., and then catch a train towards Jasper, in Alberta. a modest use of the excellent ferry system would enable you to break free from the Alaskan Airlines stranglehold over Juneau.we anticipate arriving in Juneau on August 21st, 2012., and staying about 3 days. would love to hear of your findings between then and now ! we are coming from Tasmania. cheers, john kelly.

Tulsa, OK
8. Re: August 2012 trip

JohnKelly

I've tried to work around the ferry schedule, but the timing just isn't working. Your train trip between Jasper and Port Rupert combined with the Inside Passage is one of my dream vacations but will have to wait until I can take more time off. As is, I'm trying to pack way too much into a two week period.

TakuTravel

When you say there is a winter sale, does that mean travel must be in winter or just the sale is then but the effective dates include summer?

Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 140
9. Re: August 2012 trip

There is the winter sale on Alaska Air right now. Usually those price have to be used within a couple of months tho. Unfortunately they have a strangle hold on coming into or out of town. The ferry is another option, but actually usually more expensive and takes more time. You might try reversing your route, flying into Anchorage and then taking the ferry across the gulf to Southeast and then down the inside passage to Bellingham. That would be completely do-able in two weeks and you'd have the opportunity to see many of the small communities of Southeast that few people get to. (You'd have to hub out of Juneau and or Ketchikan depending on where you'd want to visit.)

Juneau, Alaska
reviews: 54
10. Re: August 2012 trip

there should be another good fare sale at the end of January...