We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

Which Healy hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Scottsville...
Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

During our one day drive from Anchorage to Healy, can anyone recommend some scenic stops along the way? Are there any interesting side roads with great photo opps that wont get us too far off track during the 5-6 hr. drive & wont be too mushy on June 2?

Cypress, Texas
reviews: 155
11. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

You aren't going to have time to do Hatcher Pass, the Old Glenn Highway or the drive to Manatuska Glacier unless you have time on the return trip.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
reviews: 29
12. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

>>>Noone has yet suggested Hatcher Pass or the Old Glenn Highway or the drive to Manatuska Glacier - which all sound gorgeous from what Ive researched. Are they dirt roads?<<<

Also to add to Avian's response . . . they are not "on the way" from Anchorage to Healy either.

Issaquah, Washington
reviews: 10
13. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

You said, " that wont get us too far off track during the 5-6 hr. drive. " No one recommended Independence Mine or Matanuska Glacier because they aren't little detours on the way to Healy. Matanuska is about 75 miles from the Parks Hwy. I haven't been to Independence Mine so I can't say how much time you would need to stop there. And I think both of them would require more than just a drive by ... you'd want to spend a little time there. Can you afford 2-3 hrs ?

alaska.org/driving/magnificent-drives.htm

Fritz Creek, Alaska
reviews: 58
14. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

They are paved roads except the Hatcher Pass on the Willow-Fishhook Road, which is mostly unpaved.

Scottsville...
15. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

Thanks for helping me understand the logistics. Yes, our time is limited to maybe 1 -2 hrs. for exploring. Plan to leave Anchorage by car at 8 a.m. then arrive in Healy between 4-5 p.m. for our Aspen Haus check-in time. Then to dinner. I better take a closer look at an online map! :-)

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
16. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

I wouldn't miss Denali viewpoint North & South for some interesting info, hopefully with the mountain peeking out when you are there.

The sculptures at the vietnam memorial are beautiful as is the tribute.

There's a great pie/coffee/lunch place along the way Mary's McKinley View lodge & cafe. Yes, the view is awesome. I remember good battered halibut for lunch & good pies another time.

17. Re: Scenic Drive from Anchorage to Healy

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 8:15 pm, August 13, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Healy