We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Eagles Galore

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
Eagles Galore

Sunshine today so we made plans to head out the road to look for eagles and have lunch at 33-Mile......Wow !.......I have never seen so many eagles !......On the snow covered banks of the river, in the leaf-less cottonwood trees along the road, on stumps and wading in the water, they are everywhere.......we trudged through the snow on the boardwalk trail and enjoyed listening to their laugh-like calls.......Just a reminder to anyone who enjoys winter sports and wildlife viewing, the season is just beginning !!

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: Eagles Galore

Thanks for the update. I was sooo close to booking a trip to Haines for later this week. In all honesty, it is best that I am staying home. But wow, it sounds fantastic.

John

Michigan
2. Re: Eagles Galore

Mombear...I'm jealous, jealous, jealous!

Did I mention that I was jealous?

Edited: 7:17 am, December 04, 2009
Michigan
3. Re: Eagles Galore

In 2010 I have reservations for a 3 week trip in late August/September but in 2011 I'd like to come in March for the beginning of the Iditarod in Anchorage and Willow. How is the eagle population and viewing in March? If it's good I would book a 2 or 3 day side trip stay in Haines. Oh yeah...I'm still jealous! :)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 29
4. Re: Eagles Galore

Tahoe, we do have eagles here all year round......but the huge gathering out at the Preserve is mostly over with by March.....they gather there during the winter to feed on the last run of salmon which is usually over with during January......you would still see some around town and out near the old cannery where the Chilkat River meets the Lynn Canal.......March is very "iffy" weather-wise......could be lovely and sunny with some snow on the ground or it could be a complete blizzard grounding planes and ferries !!.......If you enjoy snowboarding and heli-skiing and snow machining, I would choose March........Fishing, wildlife viewing I would choose summer months, though........

5. Re: Eagles Galore

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, June 03, 2010