We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rental car

Pensacola, Florida
reviews: 21
Rental car

I just read that the ferry terminal is 4.5 miles from downtown Haines. Is there a place close to the ferry terminal where one can rent a car? Also, are taxis readily available?

Thanks***

Cassandra

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
1. Re: Rental car

There is one car rental company relatively close to the ferry terminal. I <think> it is Lynn View Lodge:

Lynn View Lodge, newer Mazda Tribute 4x4's, $69/day....ph 907-766-3713

Check with the other companies though too - they might pick you up.

Not sure about taxis - I think there is only one taxi company in town (at least that is what I was told last time I was there).

Also ask your lodging if they might pick you up.

When are you going? How long are you staying? I really enjoyed Haines the two times I have been there.

John

Pensacola, Florida
2. Re: Rental car

John,

We're going in June, and I'm just trying to hammer out the details and logistics before I finalize the itinerary. Did you do any hiking? My friend and I are mostly interested in outdoor adventures.

Cassandra

where did you stay?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
reviews: 28
3. Re: Rental car

Hi Cassie

Here is a list of rental cars/prices for last summer......I think that most places you would rent from will pick you up at the ferry terminal....ask to make sure when you make reservations.....

Also some hotels have courtesy vans that will pick you up.....

Last year there was one taxi running.....I think he charged about $20....(ouch !!)....

Capt's Choice Motel usually has Ford Taurus's 1-2 years old......unlimited mileage....not sure of rate.....call 800-478-2345

Beach Roadhouse SUV rentals $50/day......call 866-736-3060

Lynn View Lodge, newer Mazda Tribute 4x4's, $69/day....ph 907-766-3713

Hotel Halsingland (Avis) from $79 to $89/day depending on size of car.....ulimited mileage.....ph 800-542-6363....

Eagle's Nest Motel $49-$55/day, but limited to 100 miles with $.40 for each additional mile (that could really run up the tab fast)...."

Pensacola, Florida
4. Re: Rental car

Mombear,

thanks for the info. I have put out an inquiry for the Captain's Choice hotel and car rental.

I sent you a message earlier, but I don't think it went through. My friend and I (we are two female high school teachers) are mapping out an itinerary. We're 57 and in good shape. Can you recommend some hiking activities in the Haines area? I'm thinking of devoting two days in Haines and then driving up to Haines Junction to spend 3 days in the Kluane park area. I'm also thinking of two days in Skagway. I know there are many good hiking trails in Skagway, but I can't find a lot of information about the ones in Haines.

Any information would be appreciated.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
5. Re: Rental car

I stayed twice at Tanani Bay B&B, very close to Lynn View Lodge. Excellent place with a full kitchen (basically a small apartment). Very close to the ferry terminal. It ran about $100/night for 2 in November but I am sure it costs more in the summer. The woman is so sweet, and bakes all kinds of goodies for you.

I am probably doing a similar trip in the summer of 2010, combining Skagway, Haines and Juneau. In my initial research I found it would be cheaper to rent in Juneau and take the car on the ferry but that really depends on what type of car rental rate you can get in each place. You might want to search for that thread and the discussion - it can't be more than a couple of weeks old.

This might be from mombear though I didn't keep the source:

There is a nice group of cabins just across from Kathleen Lake

http://www.kluaneco.com/

this area is only about 2 hrs north of Haines and is surrounded by hiking trails.....the owner has hiking maps available and since he is a naturalist he can answer any questions you have about the area.....there are canoe rentals at Kathleen Lake and fishing is available in the nearby rivers.....

I haven't really done any hiking in Haines - only been there in November. But there are supposedly some good trails south of town - out toward the point. I think there are some hiking suggestions listed on www.haines.ak.us but the server I am using right now doesn't seem to recognize the .us ending.

I am looking forward to an overnight near Skagway at a cabin on the Upper Dewey Lake trail and/or another cabin on the Laughton Glacier trail. Both sound like excellent hikes.

John

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
6. Re: Rental car

Hi Cassie

I would love to share some of my favorite trails with you......

If on hiking day you wake up to clear skies (or predicted by afternoon)....head for Mt Riley Trailhead on Mud Bay Road.....This trail zig zags through the forest and up the mountain side (about 2.5 mi each way).....it arrives at a lovely meadow with plank boardwalk and continues up onto large boulders which will give you an almost 360 degree view up Lynn Canal to Skagway, up the Chilkat River towards Canada and down the Lynn Canal to Juneau....absolutely wonderful place to rest up and enjoy your lunch !!

If however you wake up on hiking day and it is drizzly head towards Battery Point Trailhead at the end of Beach Road.....this is a downhill hike (about 1.2 miles each way) through a typical rain forest, crossing several small creeks....watch for tree roots in the trail and avoid stepping on them, they are slippery.....this trail bursts out on a gorgeous crescent beach.....and the trail continues through rolling meadows that will be blooming with wildflowers in June.....(make noise, bears love these meadows too).....

Another great trail is located at Chilkat State Park about 7 miles south of town.....The trail starts at the first turn out on the left as you head down the gravel road in the park.....In fact I think there is a sign there.....you will be heading to Moose Meadows......trail heads downhill about 1.5 miles through rain forest, lots of boardwalks and bridges over creeks, huge skunk cabbage (looks like it's a plant left over from the days of the dinosaur)......the trail ends at Moose Meadows which will be covered in wild roses in June (smells like heaven).....meadow is bordered by the Chilkat River with two glaciers within view across the water.....watch for porcupines, otters, seals and, oh yes, maybe a moose......from this point you can return cross country at the water's edge to the boat launch and then up the road to the parking area by the trailhead (still about 1.5 miles) but if you're like me I like circle trips to see more scenery....whichever route you take, be sure to stop at the Ranger's log cabin.....they have a spotting scope on the back deck to view the waterfall and possibly mountain goats on the other side of the river......they also have plant and bird identification books that are very educational after hiking for hours and seeing new things.....

Can't wait for spring !!.......0 degrees here now at noon and sure would love to go for a hike through the wildlowers !!

Harrisburg...
reviews: 1
7. Re: Rental car

mombear

Gotta say thank you for the hiking suggestions. I tucked it away in my TA trips for future use.

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
8. Re: Rental car

Yes, thanks mombear. With those detailed suggestions, my MS Word file on Alaska just grew to 93 pages!

John

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
9. Re: Rental car

Also wanted to suggest you stop by the Visitor's Center in Haines to pick up a copy of "Haines is for Hikers".....this little brochure has a nice map of all the trails and the people at the Center will be glad to give you directions, as well.....Happy Trails !!

Pensacola, Florida
10. Re: Rental car

Mombear,

Thanks so much for those suggestions. They are now part of our itinerary.

Do you think we need to carry bear spray?