We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Lake City, FL
reviews: 15
Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Looking for advice on the Winner Creek Trail. My family and I have allotted one day for the drive down the Seward Highway but we would really like to do the hand tram on the Winner Creek Trail. I have heard it is possible to start at the end of the trail closest to the trail. Can anyone give me details on how to do this? How long down the trail will we encounter the hand trams?

5 replies to this topic
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 129
1. Re: Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Here (below) are some links regarding the trail. The easiest/shortest access to the trail is from Crow Creek Rd. and park near (not in) the Crow Creek Mine. The mine is 2.7 miles from the start of Crow Creek Rd. If it's been raining this trail can be messy/muddy. From the trail entrance (just inside of Crow Creek Mine's entrance) it's about a 20 to 30 minute walk to the tram.

I also believe there's a new parking lot just south of the mine that might access the trail. I'm not sure about this but I've sent an email of to Parks & Recreation to see if they will confirm if it exists. I'll update this if/when I hear back from Parks.

Links:

alaskahikesearch.com/hikes/winner-creek/ (see "To start from the mine end:")

www.alaska.org/detail/winner-creek-trail

lfadventureclub.com/…

MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
reviews: 24
2. Re: Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Yes there is a new parking lot at the trailhead on the Crow Creek Mine side. Also has vaylt toilets.

Lake City, FL
3. Re: Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Thanks so much. We would love to do the full hike but unfortunately only have one day to drive the Seward Highway. My son is super excited about the hand tram. Glad we will be able to fit that in!

Any other suggestions for short hikes/must sees along the highway?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
reviews: 129
4. Re: Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Take a few minutes and read the posts at this link/thread:

http://goo.gl/dPvuEJ

Lake City, FL
5. Re: Winner Creek Trail hand tram

Thanks sdpryde. Very helpful post. Wish we could stay longer. Can I ask for one more piece os advice? Restaurant suggestions for dinner in Anchorage and seward? The guys in my family are really interested in foods such as caribou, reindeer, elk etc. I am not an adventurous eater. Any suggestions?

Reply to: Winner Creek Trail hand tram
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted