We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

Which Girdwood hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
SGP
reviews: 36
Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

Hi,

would like to ask your opinion about this.. is it worth doing? Since I only have 1 day in Anchorage, shall I do the hike or shall I explore the Anchorage instead? The price for the hike is rather steep though =(

Thanks =)

USA
Destination Expert
for Alaska, Denali National Park and Preserve, Yellowstone National Park
reviews: 44
1. Re: Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

I don't know of any glacier in the area called Midnite Glacier. Is this the name of a tour company that takes hikes to Alyeska Glacier? Or is it a tour company that takes people out on a midnight glacier hike?! Tell us more... sounds interesting.

I know there are several companies that use the tram to take people up & then hike to Alyeska Glacier.

Ok! Maybe I found what it. Is this it?

www.girdwood-tours.com/tours/tourDetail.cfm…

Manitoba, Canada
2. Re: Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

That's likely it, Denalicat. Or directly (and has a slideshow): www.theascendingpath.com/ap_glacierhikes.htm

Chummy, you could do ice trekking somewhat cheaper at Matanuska Glacier with MICA or Nova guides (under $100), but that is a 2 hour drive northeast of Anchorage. That would take up your whole day, plus the added cost of gas.

You're the only one who can decide if either hike is worth the money to YOU. Lots of things to keep you busy in and around Anchorage that don't cost a lot.

If you just want to walk on a glacier a bit (not explore crevasses, etc), you can do that for free on Byron glacier, near Portage Glacier, just a few miles south of Girdwood. Or try your hand at goldpanning at Crow Creek Mine. If you like hiking, lots of places to do that, including Winner Creek trail in Girdwood, Flattop Mt. near Anchorage, Tony Knowles trail right along the coast.

SGP
reviews: 36
3. Re: Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

Hi,

Hi Denalicat, my apologies to confuse u.. midnite glacier is actually the name of the tour, not the glacier itself. I think Manitoba Maple has provided the link =)

Thanks for the advice...

Actually I'm plannin to go for the Exit Glacier at Seward and do some helicopter ride to Mendelhall Glacier in Juneau..

Hehe I guess I will be glacier overload by the end of my trip =)

Will all glacier looks the same actually?

Thanks again =)

Manitoba, Canada
4. Re: Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

“I guess I will be glacier overload by the end of my trip”

LOL. To my way of thinking, that’s the ONLY way to be! :-))

Do glaciers all look the same? Yes and no. They are all “rivers of ice”: fs.fed.us/r10/…icefields.htm . But I never get tired of my favorite, the tidewater glaciers, because I love watching them calve into the water, as well as listening to the incredible sounds they make as they move. I've seen dozens, and am going back to Alaska next year to experience even more.

Will you be doing a Kenai Fjords tour of at least 6 hours in length at Seward? If so, you will spend some time near a calving tidewater glacier. Plus you will have a good chance to see some marine wildlife. If you have time, SeaLife Center is very enjoyable too.

These links will give you lots of ideas of what to do on your day in Anchorage: alaska.org/driving/turnagain-arm-drive.htm

alaska.org/driving/classic-day-drives.htm

http://www.anchorage.net/1770.cfm

Hope this helps!

5. Re: Midnite Glacier Hike from Girdwood

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 9:23 am, September 26, 2009