We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

Hi -

My husband & I and our 2 girls are heading to Raro in 3 weeks time, been offered a house (beachfront) in Arorangi and a house in Muri (5 mins ish from Pacific Resort up the hill) and also a 3 bedroom house in South Muri (near Tikioki Beach). There are pluses and minus to each.

We are planning on chilling out, snorkelling, relaxing in the sun etc.

Which area do you think is our best option :-)

Many thanks

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 100
11. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

Hi TheMorans,

The villa is in a very nice spot - being at the quieter end of the beach with lovely views of the lagoon and motu.

Summer temps and humidity unfortunately exacerbate the conditions for the odour to occur and linger. You should be fine where you are planning to stay.

Not long to go now until your next visit. Best regards - kia manuia.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 171
12. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

Hi TheMorans

It looks as though more tourists are upset by the stench in Muri. Hopefully your accommodation won't be affected as Frangipani08 suggests.

cookislandsnews.com/2014/…1402220909

Sydney, Australia
13. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

I am also worried about the reports of the stench in Muri, as we have booked Rendezvous Villas in May. Although this is in the southern end of Muri and we won't be staying during summer, it still causes me serious concern. Has anything been done about the problem yet? Does anyone know whether this part of Muri is affected?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 100
14. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

Hi Voagerchicky,

Have you tried emailing the property management to enquire if they have been affected more recently; by the problem? I may be completely wrong, but I have reason to suspect the foul odours are more localised around Aroko/north end of Muri - where the farm is situated. But also that the problem is confined more to summer-time proper, when there is high humidity combined with higher temps, and less breeze.

So far as having the farm relocated, this isn't an option as I understand it from various press releases. But the authorities are said to be working alongside the farm to manage their farm production much better - if this helps ease your concerns?.

If it's of any consolation, several weeks ago when it was exceptionally hot, with only a gentle SE wind, I spent Sunday with friends in Muri village at various locations. We remained outdoors for the entire duration, finishing at Muri Beach-club hotel for cocktails and nibbles (closest venue to the chicken farm for us). At no time did my friends or I detect any unpleasant air-quality issues.

Are you able to make contact with previous guests to gain feedback about any effects others have experienced?

Edited: 11:56 pm, March 09, 2014
Costa Mesa...
15. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

We have stayed at Rendezvous Villas they are far away (like a kilometer) from the chicken farm you should have no problem at all that far away.

16. Re: In conflict about where to stay, can you help?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 13, 2015