We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Now for lodging choices...

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Canby, OR
reviews: 12
Now for lodging choices...

I apologize in advance for what I know is going to be a long-winded post! I’m sorry!

Once again, thanks to all for their help last week in deciding to visit the Cook Islands. It’s still a bit out (Arrival May 12, 2014. 5 nights in Raro. To Aitutaki on May 17th, 7 nights , fly home on May 24.) But so much excitement in planning!

So now to my accommodations questions. First of all, I’ve narrowed them down to the area between Aroa and Titkaveka (with one exception, I think…I’m starting to get confused!) My reasons for that decision is I don’t want shadowed evenings, but would still like a breeze. And everyone seems to glow about the beaches on this part of the island (that is not to say Muri doesn’t look fabulous, but I’d rather be more on the sunset side. And while wanting a breeze, I don’t want full frontal, you know). Am I on track with that, or am I making wrong assumptions?

Anyway, here are my other thoughts, I am aiming for the following: beachfront, kitchen, clean, near at least one beach dining establishment, a way to cool off, whether it’s breezes or a pool, and less than $200US/night. Believe it or not, I have found some choices:

Sand Between Your Toes (proximity to moana sands a plus) holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/titikavek…

Vaima Beach House (proximity to Vaima restaurant and grocery) holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/vaimaanga…

Te Rito (not entirely sure whats nearby) holidayhomes.co.nz/pacific-islands/…map

No Name? On http://www.rarohomes4rent.com/ the studio A1040…Pool! But too far north?

Sunset Palms (I’d welcome info on this, found it scarce so far) homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p3634875i#map

Tuarai Nui Villa Studio (I found no pics or info on this but have sent a request)

Okay, that’s my start. I guess what I’m really asking is…if we rented in Arorangi just for a pool, would we be sacrificing half of my list? And while beachfront is essential, we can always scooter or walk to better snorkeling and swimming. We just like to be comfortable while lounging near our own door step while looking at a beautiful view after a day of exploring, with the option to walk to have a drink or meal.

Thank you so much for all you experts and others do to answer all our crazy questions while we wrangle back here in the cold and rain. It helps get us through!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 101
1. Re: Now for lodging choices...

Hi again,

Arorangi is situated on the western side of the island, with a sunset setting (glorious colours on many occasions) and has less windy days being sheltered from the prevailing SE that cuts across Muri, Tikioki and Titikaveka.

Aroa, Vaimaanga and Titikaveka all have a southerly aspect which also means having less coral overall in their lagoon areas. Arorangi has a bigger range of dining options, next to Muri, than the southern localities. But everything is in close proximity with the island taking an hour or so to circumnavigate. It's very easy to move from locality and attraction to another.

Go with your heart for your accommodation decision. Having both a pool and a beachfront at your disposal doubles your chances to relax and enjoy our slice of paradise.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 160
2. Re: Now for lodging choices...

Hi again emmechelle

Have sent you a PM.

Auckland, New...
reviews: 3
3. Re: Now for lodging choices...

Vaimaanga has the best beaches! Best snorkelling too. I would rather be on the beach because if it is warm enough to swim, the sea is much nicer than a pool. It's beautiful and clear (except after a thunderstorm).

When I was there last week I saw this house called The Islander on my beach walks (found it on this site www.rentraro.com) and I think I might try to get that for my next stay as it has a huge deck.

I would say "don't stay in Arorangi!"... it's a hassle packing all your swimming and snorkelling stuff and driving halfway round the island to some better beach. It's not that nice round the town side compared to the south side.

I saw the Vaima Beach House while I was there and the only thing I wondered about was whether it would be annoying to have all the restaurant diners having their meals right next to your house? But very handy to the shop too.

Canby, OR
4. Re: Now for lodging choices...

Thanks lilmuffincat...I looked up the islander, it looks fabulous! But a little out of our price range. We settled on the studio called Sand Between Your Toes in titikeveka. Beachfront w/ a bit of privacy, is what I'm hoping...simple but still in the general area I'd decided on. So, we will see. I just wish it wasn't so far in the future! :)

Christchurch
reviews: 48
5. Re: Now for lodging choices...

We stayed in Sand Between your toes in July and absolutely loved it. It's beach front and great value. Very new and clean. Because of the Good price we could also afford to rent a car for the week so just headed off for a few hours each day to the best part of the island depending on weather. The beach out the front is really nice and its just next door to the little Polynesian as well which charges about 4 times the price for the same view (flasher rooms but same view and beach!) it was windy the week we were there which I was told was a bit unusual but that's the tropics. If you want beach front, new and clean and a great price this is hard to beat- we think we may have to sneak back for a week soon as we loved it so much.

Canby, OR
6. Re: Now for lodging choices...

Thanks HughesChristchurch.That is very reassuring! I think reading your trip report from July had been one of my deciding factors. It sounds like just the type of accommodation we were looking...it allows us to afford this destination yet still get a beach-front location. And I'm totally fine making my own bed (or not making it!), whenever I want! :)

7. Re: Now for lodging choices...

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, October 22, 2014