We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 56
Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

I want to know how readily available soy milk/gluten free products are in Raro - both in cafes and from the supermarket/corner shops. I've been trawling though the restaurants section of TA but can't find much on soy milk or gluten free (except one mention of GF bread). Don't particularly want to pack my own soy milk. Suggestions welcome.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 171
1. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Hi

Soy milk is definitely available in the main supermarkets on Raro, but I don't know about cafes and corner shops. So no need to pack your own soy milk - just stock up at a supermarket when you arrive.

GF I'll leave to others, although I was interested to read in the local press about the need to have a separate room to prepare GF bread - which is interesting. Should the same apply to GF food prepared in restaurants?

Sydney, Australia
2. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Thanks nzlilibet. I'm worried I won't be able to enjoy my daily coffee if cafes don't have soy milk.

If you have Coeliac Disease, you definitely would prefer that GF foods were prepared separate to gluten foods, due to the potential for contamination. The problem with baking bread is that flour gets into the air and you could never be certain that GF bread prepared in the same room/with the same equipment was free of wheat flour or other gluten containing grains.

Fortunately, I'm gluten intolerant rather than having CD, so a little bit won't have quite the effect on me as someone with CD. I really want to know if cafes do more than sandwiches and burgers, or if I should aim to self-cater more.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
reviews: 29
3. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

If Aitutaki is included in your trip, the Koru Cafe offers gluten free options and soya milk for their coffee.

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 11
4. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

This is amazing news! I have celiac disease and am so pleased to hear there are GF options in Aitutaki. My husband and I are planning a trip to the Cook Islands for April (Raro and Aitutaki).

Does anyone know if corn pasta is available in the grocery stores on Rarotonga?

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
reviews: 72
5. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

chaboey, I would err on the side of caution & bring your own corn pasta with you. The supermarkets are well stocked with most "everyday" products but like any small Pacific Island Rarotonga relies on imports & therefore stocks of products can run out prior to the next delivery.

I would suggest that supermarkets are stocked with those products that are in high demand rather than those products required for specific dietary needs.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 100
6. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Good stocks of GF pastas (3 brands), and Ceres brand flours at both CITC Supermarket and Foodland today. And a wide range of soy milk on their joint shelves as well. We have residents living in our community on Rarotonga who rely on these products hence an ongoing range is available. Our shipping services from Auckland arrive twice monthly, ensuring that consumers are generally well- served nowadays.

By all means bring what you require in your packed luggage, Zentourist if you plan on self-catering some of the time. Kikau Hut in Arorangi offer special diet meals including GF; non-dairy, and vegetarian. Deli-Licious cafe in Muri provide soy-milk at customers request.

Kia Orana chaboey, I can recheck CITC shelves tomorrow for you - however think it best to pack what you require, as there is likely to be lower demand for corn pasta as such, compared to GF pasta.

Edited: 10:28 pm, June 17, 2013
Sydney, Australia
7. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Thanks for the great information. I never assume that anywhere will cater for special diets (Europe can be a nightmare) but it's good to know there are options. Me and my caffeine habit will be well served.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
8. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Zen, I tried phoning Le Bon Vivant in Muri to enquire about their coffees, but no reply at end of day. Their newly renovated & stunning building is located directly opposite Deli-Licious in Muri and are likely to offer non-dairy alternatives. Will post again to this thread once I reach LBV Muri and Deli-Foods.

Also, Wigmore's in Vaimaanga stock soy milk on their shelves. I'll find out for you if Café Latte opposite Wigmore's offers a non-dairy coffee. This roadside café is open on Sundays.

Toronto, Ontario
reviews: 11
9. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Thank you so much Frangipani! I will likely bring my own corn pasta as we plan to self-cater some of the time while on Rarotonga and Aitutaki. A lot of GF pasta is made primarily with rice and is very sticky. I discovered the corn pasta at a restaurant here in Toronto that caters to GF and other dietary requirements and totally fell it love with it. Tastes just like the regular gluten-full stuff and can actually be cooked "al dente".

I hate to pack my own flour blends as nothing looks more suspicious in a person's bag as a sack of white powder, but what can you do. haha

Hoping to find a place with a BBQ once we are ready to book accommodation so that we can have fish, seafood, etc and grilled vegetables. I'll bring the corn pasta along, but I assume potatoes and rice are readily available there. What about jars of pasta sauce?

Thanks again for all the wonderful information!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
10. Re: Soy milk/gluten free in Rarotonga

Hi chaboey,

Rice and potatoes are part of the staple diet here on Raro, thus the bigger foodstores in town but also the smaller stores dotted around the island carry rice mainly, but also potatoes. Potatoes are both sea and air-freighted from NZ regularly. Pasta sauces are stocked by supermarkets and smaller stores round Rarotonga.

The Ceres brand of flours are stocked consistently by CITC; both at Foodland in Avarua, and also at their Supermarket in Panama (near main port), on Rarotonga.

A number of s/c villas provide a BBQ for guests use. All the best with your holiday planning. Kia manuia.