We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Another drinking water question

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Melbourne, Australia
Another drinking water question

Hi all,

We are new to the forum.

Thank you all for the very useful forum inforamtion on the drinking water topic.We are travelling to Rarotonga in early July so we are learning a great deal from this forum.

A question. If there are safety issues with untreated water then I assume that restaurants and take away places must use treated water to wash fruit and vegetables used in salads, sandwiches and uncooked meals etc. I read great reports on the restaurants, we can't wait to try some of them. Is it sensible to wash fruit from the market before eating or is it OK to eat whilst we are sampling the local produce at the market and various small produce outlets.

Thank you.

Sydney, Australia
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga
reviews: 57
1. Re: Another drinking water question

Like you, 1stbigtrip, I can only assume that restaurants & take away places use treated water.

I have been to Raro 4 times, always stayed in properties with treated water or we've purchased bottled water, have eaten at most restaurants on the island & have eaten at the markets & neither myself or my family (including very young children) have ever become ill.

Melbourne, Australia
reviews: 17
2. Re: Another drinking water question

Totaly agree with Fernsie, we have been to Rarotonga 6 times and eaten everywhere including restaurants and markets and never got sick. Bought fruit from street sellers many times, no problem. We usually buy bottled water for drinking and boil tap water for tea,coffee and ice cubes.

3. Re: Another drinking water question

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:16 am, June 19, 2014
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga
Recent Conversations