We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Raro with 1 year old?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
London, United...
Raro with 1 year old?

Hi. I am thinking about returning to Raro with my husband and our 1 year old daughter (she'll be one at time of travel). We married and honeymooned on Raro / Aitutaki and obviously stayed at resorts which were adults only, this time we want to self cater and stay for around 3 weeks in Jan.

Anyone got any experience with self catering accom? Budget of £1000 a week for the three of us. Also am I mad taking a one year old? If anyone has experience of this I would be grateful.

7 replies to this topic
Saint Helens, Oregon
1. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

That's an awfully long flight with layovers from UK. Have you considered that as far as your baby goes? I know from a LOT of experience, 1 year olds can be very fussy with a lot of care and attention required. Also should think about the other passengers who would have to put up with a fussy baby. If I had a 1 year old again, I would wait until she was at least 4.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands
reviews: 102
2. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

Kia Orana KimJessieO, welcome to the forum.

I can well understand the sentiment for wishing to return to the Cook Islands, given that you will have many fond memories of your wedding and honeymoon here. The captive magic of this destination and its culture is what draws people back time and again. No wonder our people write and sing so many love songs!

Depending on when your family decides to return, one property on Aitutaki to consider (with a toddler in mind) is Are Tai Villas on the western side of the island. Roomy 2 br stand alone villas, with the 3rd one being positioned a little further back from the beachfront. Next door is Puffy's casual dining, with the shops being not too far from the villas - aretaibeachvillas.com/aretai-villas/welcome_…

For Rarotonga, Vaikoi in the Aroa area, is lovely. Spacious family unit, with affordable rates, and its a step away from a lovely beach near the Rarotongan Resort and Kaena restaurant - http://www.vaikoi.com/pages/rates/.

All the best - kia manuia.

London, United...
3. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

Thanks for the replies. Yes it would be a long flight for her. We would break it up with a few days in LA there and back and look for overnight flights. Possibly even fly UK - NY - LA over a week or so before taking the Air New Zealand direct to Raro. I agree this requires some thought as her well being is my main concern.

Thanks for the self catering recommendations I will take a look. I just LOVE Raro - to me its the best place on earth. I'd move there if I could but my husband and I couldn't take our baby daughter away from her Grandparents - or we'd never be spoken to again!

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 133
4. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

Hi KimJessie

If you do decide you can cope with the flights with your youngster, there are lots of possibilities for self-catering. Having been there before, you'll have an idea of the various areas to stay. Have a look at this site. There's also another section for Aitutaki.

holidayhomes.co.nz/for-rent/…

Not all take children, but many do. If you see anything you fancy in an area you remember, come back and ask on the forum. Chances are someone will have stayed there.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
reviews: 29
5. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

HI KimJessie, In addition to Are Tai on Aitutaki you might want to take a look at the Ootu Beach House and the Ootu Villa. aitutaki-accommodations.com/Aitutaki_Accommo…

These are very popular with families. Both are self catering with a spectacular view of the Aitutaki Lagoon and walking distance to several places to eat including Samade on the Beach, the Koru Cafe and the Boat Shed. The latter two are very kid friendly. There are no shops within walking distance so vehicle rental would be recommended. That would be true also for Are Tai.

London, United...
6. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

Thank you. I'll check them out. Sorry, I see I'm logged into TA via facebook. I'm usually a regular contributor under my TA profile.

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 67
7. Re: Raro with 1 year old?

Check out Rent Raro as well for self catering www.rentraro.com. Eddie is very helpful

Regards

Suzi

Reply to: Raro with 1 year old?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga