We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Launceston...
reviews: 8
3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

I am flying into Raro from Sydney on a Saturday arriving at 7:05am before continuing on to Aitutaki at 10:30am. Would there be time to have a wander at the market, perhaps buy some food to take with me? It is the only opportunity I will have to see the market because I fly out the next Saturday in the wee hours. It looks like the market is close to the airport.

5 replies to this topic
Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands
reviews: 101
1. Re: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

Kia orana bearsox, welcome to the forum.

Provided your flight arrives Raro on time (as they have been recently), you should be outside the arrivals hall around 8:00am or before. I suggest you head directly over to the domestic checkin counter to drop luggage before making your way to Punanga Nui market. The market site is near the Avatiu wharf, about 1.5kms from the airport heading towards town. Air Raro checkin staff will be around attending to the earlier 8:00am flight, so hopefully this process will work in your favour. Email Air Raro to enquire if this can be done - sales@airraro.co.ck

You would need to be back at domestic by 10:00am or so. If you are already checked in and have dropped luggage, this time is a little less critical. To get to the market it's probably advisable to prebook a taxi or transport from the airport. This will be more convenient than waiting for the scheduled bus services which arrive at the RSA across the main road from the airport at approximately 10 minutes to the hour.

Either arrange hire a car for a short time from Rarotonga Rentals opposite the airport, or organise an airport transfer service like Tiare Transport to meet you, take you into town and return you to domestic by 10am. Tiare Transport is a small privately owned operator who could likely take you to several shops including CITC Supermarket & Liquor shops in Panama, after the market - henry@tiaretransport.com.

If you don't happen to purchase alll your requirements on Rarotonga, the small shops on Aitutaki stock a limited range of most products albeit at higher prices (for imported foods) than Raro. Also TNM store located near Arutanga wharf on Aitutaki stocks groceries and fresh products, as does Aquila store located towards the Pacific Resort locality of Amuri. Tauono Organic Garden would be another good place to purchase fresh fruits and veg on Aitutaki (located near Etu Moana) in addition to Sonja's excellent homefare at her garden-cafe.

Enjoy your visit. Kia manuia.

Launceston...
reviews: 8
2. Re: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

Frangipani,

I probably will only buy breakfast supplies and some snacks. I would like to try the local cuisine.Thank you for taking the time to provide advice. It's much appreciated!

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands
reviews: 101
3. Re: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

Hi again,

Another 2 options for Rarotonga, to purchase a few snacks and some breakfast cereal, would be to either walk from the airport to Panama where CITC supermarket and their liquor store are both located (say 20 minutes walk, and catch the anticlockwise bus back to the airport (9:30am service),

OR walk from the airport to CITC's Oasis convenience store located along the main road at Nikao Beach (say 10 - 15 minutes walk). Possibly get the clockwise bus back to the airport. But it's an easy stroll in both directions.

4. Re: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 2:35 pm, October 05, 2013

Cardiff
reviews: 40
5. Re: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?

We have used Henry for the last 15 times over 13 years and have always found him to be friendly, efficient and welcoming.

Reply to: 3+ hour layover in raro--time for market?
Get notified by e-mail when a reply is posted
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga