We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Tokyo, Japan
affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Hi. We'll visit Rarotonga and Aitutaki in August on our honeymoon. We mainly stay in Aitutaki and have already booked a bungalow there. BUT we can't make up our mind for Rarotonga yet. The followings are what we are considering so far within our budget (up to NZ$300/ a night). Any recommendations or advices?

Sunrise Beach Bungalows

• Tropical Sands

• Lagoon Breeze Villas

• The Cooks Oasis - Holiday Villas

• Puaikura Reef Lodges

• MainIslander on the Beach Island Holiday Properties

• The Rarotongan Beach Resort & Spa

• Sunset Resort

• Magic Reef Bungalows

We will stay only a night in Rarotonga, therefore some of the above may not be bookable just for a night. We want to stay most importantly clean, preferably with beautiful ocean view. Cheaper is better, but we want to avoid "cheap and nasty." I would appreciate if anyone could help us to make up our mind :)

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Rarotonga, Waiheke Island, Southern Cook Islands, Auckland
reviews: 100
1. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Kia Orana Peanacchu,

From the list you've provided here are my picks, but in no particular order of preference.

1. Sunset Resort - located on the sunset, western side of Rarotonga, and sheltered during the cold SE/southerly wind during August. Onsite dining open from breakfast through to dinner. Lovely property.

2. Magic Reef - also located on the sunset, western side of Rarotonga. No onsite restaurant though. Small, intimate adults-only property.

3. Tropical Sands - located on the north-east part of Rarotonga. Small, friendly owner-operated property. No onsite restaurant.

All 3 are within reasonable proximity to the airport for an overnight stay, with Sunset Resort being the closest..

Aroa Beachside Inn set down in the SW corner of Rarotonga on a very lovely beach with good lagoon views from nearly all the bungalows is around your price range. Onsite bar-kitchen & serving breakfasts.

Happy decision-making, and all the very best for your honeymoon plans. Aitutaki is truly magical!

Frangipani

Tokyo, Japan
2. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Thank you, Frangipani.

Aroa Beachside Inn seemed like our plan, but unfortunately they require to stay at least 4 nights... From your advices, Sunset Resort might be the one.

Peanacchu

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
3. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Hi Peanacchu,

That's regrettable, about the Aroa Beachside Inn.

The Sunset Resort is truly lovely. Their beach is one of the best as far as ocean views, shelter from wind and privacy goes. The resort is a genuine 10 minutes to the airport, but you shouldn't experience aircraft noise at that spot.

Tokyo, Japan
4. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Thanks again, Frangipani!

Can I ask you one more question? Our flight on the last day is about 3AM. I am guessing the airport is too small to spend hours in there. Do you have any idea where we can spend our time? or do you think it is better to book a hotel room?

Edited: 1:57 am, April 04, 2013
Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
5. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Peanacchu if it was me I would book another night at you accommodation. that way you can relax and really enjoy your last day of holiday. It also allows you to have a nap before you go on your long trip home

Regards

Suzi

Tokyo, Japan
6. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Thank you, Suzi. As was expected, it may be as well to book another night.

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
7. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Is the one night stay on Rarotonga planned for the start, or at the end of your visit to Aitutaki?

If your stop-over on Rarotonga is at the end of your stay in the Cook Islands you may well receive a better rate for the accommodation overall, with the late check-out included.

If your one night stop-over is at the start of your trip, you may like to consider a different option for your final night. The Aquarius Hotel is directly opposite the airport with en suite hotel rooms at affordable rates. Onsite restaurant with occean views. You would not need to book a ground transfer from/to the airport for this hotel if flying in from Aitutaki that same day.

The airport is fairly open, and doesn't have the same level of comfort as bigger international airports. Also, since we have only a few late night flights it is likely you would need to hang around until checkin commences.

What some travellers choose to do is to go out for a meal on their last night, and perhaps take in a floorshow to reduce the wait. If your flight back from Aitutaki is the last flight (early evening) this option may suit you if you are then checking in later for your departure. In which case the Aquarius Hotel is well used to transit passengers waiting their time in their reception-dining area.

Tokyo, Japan
8. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Thank you again, Frangipani. I apologize I haven't noticed your post by now.

Our stop-over is at the start of our trip and we will be back in Raro in the morning of the last day and have a full day there. We've booked a rent car for both the stop-over and the last day, so the transfers won't be a problem. If a dinner and a floorshow (is this some kind of night club?) could be an option instead of a booking accommodation, it would be better for us. Could you tell me about a floorshow a little more?

Rarotonga, Cook...
Destination Expert
9. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

Hi,

The dinner and cultural shows take place on various nights of the week, and at different venues around Rarotonga. What day of the week (early morning flight) are you catching?

Hobart, Australia
Destination Expert
for Vanuatu
reviews: 72
10. Re: affordable accommodation in Rarotonga

The dinner and cultural shows finish around 9:30 - 10pm. That's lots of waiting around until your 3am flight. Maybe look at the Aquarius Hotel if you want a cheaper accommodation option for a few hours to hang out/ have a short nap before your trip home. It is across the road from the Airport

Regards

Suzi

Edited: 6:46 pm, April 22, 2013
Get answers to your questions about Rarotonga