We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Easter Holidays and Driver Licence

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Sydney, Australia
reviews: 1
Easter Holidays and Driver Licence

My partner and I are due to get married in a couple of weeks and will be celebrating our honeymoon in the Cook Islands which also happens to coincides with the Easter Period. Whilst over there we are planning to hire a scooter and wanted to ask a few questions about obtaining a drivers license.

Our arrival flight to Raro touches down on Thursday the 28th at 16:15 which I believe would be too late and Police station will be closed that day? The following days then happen to coincide with Easter Friday 29th, Easter Saturday 30th, Easter Sunday 31st, (Easter Monday (1st) we are flying to Aitutaki). What we wanted to know is:

1. Will the Police station be open to issue a licence at any time over this period? I'm assuming it definitely wont be at least on Friday?

2. I read somewhere that if you don’t have a license, the hire place issues you with a 'temporary' licence until you can get down to the police station. If the station to be closed for a couple of days, would this 'temporary' licence cover us across this period?

Cheers and looking forward to our honeymoon

Marc

1. Re: Easter Holidays and Driver Licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guideline limiting each user to a single forums screen name.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 4:46 pm, March 16, 2013
nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 171
2. Re: Easter Holidays and Driver Licence

Hi

I think it's a bit more complicated if you're intending to hire a scooter rather than a car. If you don't have a licence to ride a scooter you have to do a practical test before obtaining your licence. Not difficult as I understand it, but it does mean that a temporary licence can't be issued.

Different with a car. You can arrange to hire a car (assuming of course you have an Australian licence) and have it at the airport to pick up when you arrive. The hire company will arrange a temporary licence.

This licence is supposed to last until you can get to the police station to arrange your licence. My guess would be that the police station would be open on Easter Saturday, but the car hire company would be able to tell you. I'm sure that any temporary licence would cover the time when it was impossible to get the licence because the police station was closed.

So a car might be the better bet. Over to you. But whenever you go to the police station take a pen - they are always in short supply.

Enjoy your honeymoon.

3. Re: Easter Holidays and Driver Licence

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12:18 am, March 13, 2014