We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Accomodation options for large family

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Auckland
Accomodation options for large family

Hi

There are a pile of us heading to Rarotonga in august for 7 to 10 days and the variety of accomodation is mind boggling

Anyway, its me, my hubby and our 2 kids(aged 3 and 5), my Mum and Dad, my Aunt and my Sister. (In case your interested its to celebrate Mum hitting 70)

Thought you could help me wade through the accomodation options. We'd prefer 2 seperate villas or apartments with us in one and the rest of the family in the other. My sister and Aunt are quite happy to share a room. Not that interested in kids club as have lots of babysitters on board.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Australia
11. Re: Accomodation options for large family

My favourite places to eat are Palace, Mama's and Blue Note and favourite party night is Trader Jacks (yes I know it gets mixed reviews but it's a place I've loved since our first visit and I've never had a bad night there - ever:)). Sunday lunchs at the Rarotongan aren't bad especially the gospel singing.

There's another takeaway place that we go to but I can't remember the name of it - at the back of a small arcade it looks dodgy but has great chop suey.

We don't go to the fancy places. our big spend nights are the island nights. But due to the recommendations I'm going to try the Tamarind this trip.

Auckland
12. Re: Accomodation options for large family

Tiare, DonnaMaree and Lord Balfour thanks so much for all your help.

I've taken your advice and contacted jetsave. By the looks, the mainislander and islander are "no children". Don't quite understand all this 'no kids' and it doesn't seem to be confined just to rental houses, alot of the hotels seem to have this policy as well. Always found the Islanders to be very family orientated so seems a bit odd. Anyway, just have to get all the family to agree to a property and we will be one step closer to being there.

cheers Denise

California
13. Re: Accomodation options for large family

I have travelled twice to Rarotonga with my kids, the first time they were the same ages as yours. Regarding food, what I do when I travel is pack 1 or 2 boxes of cereal in each bag, as well as a few cans ie. tuna. Then I make breakfast and lunch - only need milk, bread,eggs etc from the grocery store. We then would have nice dinners out so that I felt like I was on holiday. (We went to several shows with the buffet dinner and I didn't need to eat at all the next day!) I kept the meals I made very simple. Once you've used the food you have extra room in your bags for anything you may buy.

Auckland
14. Re: Accomodation options for large family

Thanks JannieO I was thinking that packing a few cereals and snacks would be a good idea. My kids tend to graze all day so that would help keep the costs down. Cheers

Michigan
reviews: 18
15. Re: Accomodation options for large family

Also, check out the market in Avarua on Saturday morning for fresh fruit. DH and I bought a HUGE bunch of bananas there for $2 NZ and ate those for breakfast most mornings :)

Australia
16. Re: Accomodation options for large family

Shrub,

I promised to send you a photo from Lord Balfors album when it was up of the Fruits of Raro rentals.

Here it is: …webshots.com/photo/549972025/29302885900286…

Basic clean acommodation on the beach (best beach) in Titikaveka. Hours of snorkelling outside your doorstep.

Auckland
17. Re: Accomodation options for large family

Thanks to Tiara and everyone else for all there help. If Rarotonga is as friendly as this site we will have a ball.