We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Which Rarotonga hotels are on sale?
mm/dd/yyyy mm/dd/yyyy
See hotels
Harpenden
reviews: 1
What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Hello I am going to the Cook islands, based in Rarotonga in December. Can someone tell me what the official currency really is.?..for example if I use my card in an ATM machine will I get NZ dollars or Cook islands dollars out of it. I need to know because my card fee will be different . In some parts of the world ie Turkey using an ATM gives you options to take out £sterling, Turkish Lire or Euros but I dont know what is possible on the Cook islands.Any other advise on using money, access to banks etc and paying for items in a secure way will be helpful to me. look forward to hearing from you soon. regards Susan

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
reviews: 29
1. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Kia Orana Susan, welcome to the forum. You will be issued NZ dollars from the ATMs. While the Cook Islands has it's own currency it is only good in the Cook Islands. Cook Islands currency and NZ currency are at par. If you have any money left over at the end of your trip be sure to convert any Cook Islands currency you don't want to keep as a souvenir to NZ dollars if you want to exchange it back to your own currency when you get home. You usually get the best international exchange rates when you use your credit card. You should check with your local bank as to additional fees, if any, for international transactions.

Sunshine Coast
2. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Is it true that you can use the Australian Dollar in the Cook Islands?

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
3. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

The official currency is either the NZ dollar or Cook Islands dollar. Most places won't accept Australian currency. Those that do use the latest exchange rates to convert it. It is not accepted at par.

Beaverton, Oregon
4. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Confused here: Why would you think there is a possibility that you could use Canadian currency in The Cooks? Would you think that you could use Cook Island or New Zealand currency in Canada? Thanks.

Aitutaki, Cook...
Destination Expert
for Aitutaki
5. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Also confused. I don't see any mention anywhere of Canadian currency.

nz
Destination Expert
for Norfolk Island
reviews: 143
6. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Puapii-teacher

Don't be confused.

Donald is yet another of the newly posting North American posters that we have seen lately, who soon disappear again. He reminds us so much of another long-time poster called Chuck. And they are the ones who seem to get confused about what they think they are reading.

Maybe Donald thinks Australia is in Canada??

Kenneth C. Don't bother even trying to use A$ in the Cooks. If accepted, the rate offered would be very much to your disadvantage (some would say a rip-off). Use the NZ$ and you'll be fine.

Beaverton, Oregon
7. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

Boy, I don't know where I got Canadian either. Sorry.

8. Re: What is the official currency in the Cook Islands

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:17 am, June 04, 2014